About Dr Nicolas Kon
1. Specialty/Sub-Specialty/Area of Medicine
- Surgery for brain tumour
- Awake craniotomy with brain mapping
- Frameless stereotactic biopsy
- Brain surgery with IONM and advanced imaging
- Minimally invasive procedure (parafascicular)
- Surgery for normal pressure hydrocephalus
- Functional neurosurgery for trigeminal neuralgia and hemifacial spasm
- Microvascular decompression
- Gamma knife
- Deep brain stimulation (DBS) for Parkinson's disease, tremor, dystonia,
- Neuromodulation for spasticity, intractable pain, epilepsy
- Spinal cord stimulation (SCS)
- Vagal nerve stimulation (VNS)
- Baclofen pump
Dr Nicolas Kon is a neurosurgeon at the Mount Elizabeth Hospital with knowledge in:
- Neuro-oncology (brain tumours, awake surgery)
- Minimally invasive brain surgery (deep subcortical tumours, brain haemorrhage)
- Functional neurosurgery (trigeminal neuralgia, hemifacial spasm, spasticity, spinal cord stimulation)
- Deep brain stimulation (Parkinson's disease, tremors, dystonias and other movement disorders)
After completing medical school, Dr Kon continued his medical training in neurosurgery and neurocritical care at various institutes in the UK which include the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery (London), Charing Cross Hospital (London), Addenbrooke’s Hospital (Cambridge) as well as the National Neuroscience Institute (NNI) in Singapore.
He obtained his PhD at Imperial College London and subsequently completed his fellowship at Toronto Western Hospital, University of Toronto in Canada.
Before practising at Mount Elizabeth Hospital, Dr Kon was a consultant neurosurgeon at both Singapore General Hospital (SGH) and Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH) campuses under the Department of Neurosurgery, National Neuroscience Institute.
Currently, he is an Adj Associate Professor at the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, NUS. He is actively involved in several clinical and translational research and multi-centre international trials. In addition, he holds several patents for his discoveries. He has authored more than 80 peer-reviewed publications and serves on the Centralised Institutional Review Board. Dr Kon is the first neurosurgeon to use the Brainpath minimally invasive neurosurgical technique in Asia.
He has a longstanding commitment to neurosurgery and has received a long service award from the National Neuroscience Institute, Singapore for his contribution. In addition, Dr Kon also has a strong passion towards patient care and has been awarded several Service with A Heart awards by the SGH.
4. Awards and Achievements
- Nathalie Rose Barr PhD Scholarship, Imperial College London
- Multiple best research poster awards (local and international conferences)
- Health Manpower Development Programme (HMDP) fellowship
- Outstanding Faculty Award, Residency in Singhealth (RiSE) Award
- Service With A Heart Awards, Singapore General Hospital
- Long Service Award, National Neuroscience Institute and SingHealth
For a full list of his publication, please click the link here.
- Liu Li, Matthew Fuller, Tyler Behymer, Yisi Ng, Thomas Christianson, Shreyansh Shah, Nicolas Kon, Daniel Woo, and Michael James Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and intracerebral hemorrhage risk and outcome. Stroke. 2020 Jan.
- Ang SY, Lee L, See AA, Ang TY, Ang BT, King NK. Incidence of biomarkers in high-grade gliomas and their impact on survival in a diverse SouthEast Asian cohort - a population-based study. BMC Cancer. 2020 Jan.
- Lee L, Loh D, NKK King. Posterior Fossa Surgery for Stroke: Differences in Outcomes Between Cerebellar Hemorrhage and Infarcts. World Neurosurg. 2019 Dec.
- Qiu L, See AA, Steele T, King NK. Bioadhesives in Neurosurgery – A Review. J Neurosurg. 2019 Nov:1-11.
- Lew VH, See AA, Goh JJ, Wong TH, King NK. Survey on Willingness to Pay for Life-Saving Treatment, Functional Recovery and Cosmesis in a Neuroscience Outpatient Clinic Setting in Singapore. Value Health Reg Issues. 2019 Oct 21;21:45-52es.
- Qiu L, Han J, See AA, King NK. Effects of Anticoagulant and Antiplatelet Agents in Severe Traumatic Brain Injury in an Asian population - A Matched Case-Control Study. J Clin Neurosci. 2019 Oct 9. pii: S0967-5868(18)32182-9
- Sanghani P, Ti AB, King NK, Ren H. Evaluation of tumor shape features for overall survival prognosis in glioblastoma multiforme patients. Surg Oncol. 2019 Jun;29:178-83
- Sanghani P, Ang BT, King NK, Ren H. Regression based overall survival prediction of glioblastoma multiforme patients using a single discovery cohort of multi-institutional multi-channel MR images. Med Biol Eng Comput. 2019 Aug;57(8):1683-1691.
- Lim JX, Han JX, See AA, Lew VH, Chock WT, Ban VF, Pothiawala S, Lim WE, McAdory LE, James ML, King NK. External Validation of Hematoma Expansion Scores in Spontaneous Intracerebral Hemorrhage in an Asian Patient Cohort. Neurocrit care. 2019 Apr;30(2):394-404.
- Wan KR, Maszczyk T, See AAQ, Dauwels J, King NKK. A review on microelectrode recording selection of features for machine learning in deep brain stimulation surgery for Parkinson's disease. Clin Neurophysiol. 2019 Jan;130(1):145-154.
- Ng JCH, See AAQ, Ang TY, Tan LYR, Ang BT, King NKK. Effects of surgery on neurocognitive function in patients with glioma: a meta-analysis of immediate post-operative and long-term follow-up neurocognitive outcomes. J Neurooncol. 2019 Jan;141(1):167-182.
- Sanghani P, King NK, Ren HL. Overall survival prediction in glioblastoma multiforme patients from volumetric, shape and texture features using machine learning. Surg Oncol. 2018 Dec;24(4):709-714.
- Chua TH, See AA, King NK. Awake craniotomy for resection of brain metastases: A systematic review. World Neurosurg. 2018 Dec;120:e1128-e1135.
- Lee L, Lo YT, See AAQ, Hsieh PJ, James ML, King NKK. Long-term recovery profile of patients with severe disability or in vegetative states following severe primary intracerebral haemorrhage. J Crit Care. 2018 Dec;48:269-275.
- Bae K, Zheng W, Lin K, Lim SW, Chong YK, Tang C, King NK, Ang BT, Huang Z. Epi-Detected Hyperspectral Stimulated Raman Scattering Microscopy for Label-Free Molecular Subtyping of Glioblastomas. Anal Chem. 2018 Sep;90(17):10249-10255.
- Li C, King NKK, Ren H. A Skull-Mounted Robot with a Compact and Lightweight Parallel Mechanism for Positioning in Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery. Ann Biomed Eng. 2018 Oct;46(10):1465-1478.
- Wong TH, Nadkarni NV, Nguyen HV, Lim GH, Matchar DB, Seow DCC, King NK, Ong MEH. One-year and three-year mortality prediction in adult major blunt trauma survivors: a National Retrospective Cohort Analysis. Scand J Trauma Resusc Emerg Med. 2018 Apr;26(1):28.
- McFarlin J, Hailey CE, Qi W, Kranz P, Sun W, McDonagh DL, Gray M, King NK, Laskowitz D, James ML. Associations between patient characteristics and a new, early do-not-attempt resuscitation order after intracerebral haemorrhage. J Palliat Med. 2018 Aug;21(8):1161-1165.
- Thien A, Han JX, Kumar K, Ng YP, Rao JP, Ng WH, King NK. Investigation of the usefulness of fluorescein sodium fluorescence in stereotactic brain biopsy. Acta neurochir (Wien). 2018 Feb;160(2):317-324.
- Han JX, See AA, King NK. Validation of Prognostic Models to Predict Early Mortality in Spontaneous Intracerebral Hemorrhage: A Cross-Sectional Evaluation of a Singapore Stroke Database. World Neurosurg. 2018 Jan;109:601-608.
6. More Information