Hair loss may not affect a person’s day-to-day physical functioning, but it can have an effect on self-esteem, especially for people who have public-facing jobs. From hair tonics to transplants and now micrografts, hair treatments available in Singapore do not just stop at topical treatments but also extend beneath the skin.
Regenera Activa is a micrograft-based hair loss treatment available in Singapore that is available for both men and women. It is an option for patients for whom hair transplants are unsuitable.
Dr Justin Boey responded to DoctorxDentist readers’ questions about how hair loss is diagnosed by doctors, hair loss in women with a receding hairline, as well as medically proven solutions available. Here are some key facts to note.
Hair loss is often diagnosed through a medical consultation
Doctors typically diagnose hair loss and identify underlying causes through a medical consultation that involves a patient's personal medical history, followed by an examination of the scalp and sometimes even a full physical evaluation (including blood tests) to rule out any other medical conditions.
There are various causes of hair loss
While the most common cause of hair loss has to do with genetics, there are other medical conditions that can also lead to the same issue.
Hair loss can also be caused by:
- thyroid disease,
- scalp infections such as ringworm,
- as well as other diseases. 
Women are not excluded from hair loss
Regenera Activa can effectively restore hair
Regenera Activa can be described as a minimally invasive regenerative medical treatment that helps restore hair growth through the use of micrografts extracted from the patient’s own scalp.
First, your doctor takes skin samples from your healthy scalp that are only a few millimetres wide. These are split into small micrografts, that are small pieces of tissue with regenerative cells called mesenchymal stem cells and growth factors.
The micrografts are put into a liquid suspension containing these cells. This liquid suspension is then injected into the areas of the scalp suffering from hair loss.
When injected into the areas of the scalp that are losing hair, this can help restart hair growth without the side effects of medication and the risks of hair transplant surgery. 
Regenera Activa costs $3500/session and up
The cost of Regenera Activa treatment in Singapore typically begins from $3500 per session. Treatment costs also include initial consultations and follow-ups if needed.
Ask your doctor for a detailed list of the steps he or she uses in your Regenera Activa treatment, how the treatment is customised to your particular history of hair loss, and how they are priced. 
Regenera Activa has many advantages over other techniques
Regenera Activa is known for its shorter, minimally invasive treatment process. It can be considered cost-effective compared to transplantation, and it eliminates cross-contamination of tissue, so there is an added measure of safety.
Results are visible in a few weeks as follicles on the scalp are activated and hair grows back. This is usually faster than oral medication for hair loss that may cause side effects for some patients. In addition, there is zero downtime compared to the home recovery needed for hair transplant surgery. 
Learn more about Regenera Activa here.
Micrografts can treat ulcers and skin wounds too
It has been reported that autologous micrografting, the same technique used in Regenera Activa, can also effectively treat some ulcers and skin wounds due to the treatments’ regenerative characteristics. 
An accurate diagnosis is crucial for effective treatment
There are many proven treatments available for hair loss but an accurate diagnosis is important so that appropriate techniques can be customised to your own situation, stage of hair loss, and medical history. Sometimes, Regenera Activa can be combined with other hair treatments for a more holistic approach.
Seek a diagnosis from an experienced doctor who can do up a treatment plan catering to your needs, schedule, and lifestyle.
Dr Justin Boey’s practice of aesthetic medicine centres around the busy modern individual. He is experienced in Facial Aesthetics (lasers and injections) and hair loss treatments. Learn more about him here.
1. Hair loss - Symptoms and causes. Mayo Clinic. Published 2019. Accessed May 9, 2019.
2. Olsen EA. Female pattern hair loss. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2001;45(3):S70-S80. doi:10.1067/mjd.2001.117426 Accessed May 9, 2019.
3. SLEPYAN AH. Traction Alopecia. Archives of Dermatology. 1958;78(3):395. doi:10.1001/archderm.1958.01560090111025 Accessed May 9, 2019.
4. Zanzottera F, Lavezzari E, Trovato L, Icardi A, Graziano A. Adipose Derived Stem Cells and Growth Factors Applied on Hair Transplantation. Follow-Up of Clinical Outcome. Journal of Cosmetics, Dermatological Sciences and Applications. 2014;04(04):268-274. doi:10.4236/jcdsa.2014.44036 Accessed May 9, 2019.
5. Álvarez X, Valenzuela M, Tuffet J, Tuffet C. Microscopic and Histologic Evaluation of the Regenera® Method for the Treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia in a Small Number of Cases. International Journal of Research Studies in Medical and Health Sciences. 2017;2:19-22. Accessed May 9, 2019.
6. Hamnerius N, Wallin E, Svensson Å, Stenström P, Svensjö T. Fast and Standardized Skin Grafting of Leg Wounds With a New Technique: Report of 2 Cases and Review of Previous Methods. Eplasty. 2016;16:e14. Accessed May 9, 2019.