Singapore has a dismal fertility index. The good news is that IVF costs in Singapore are much cheaper today than it was 5 years ago.
However, as evidenced by the number of people searching for "IVF cost Singapore", it's clear that a lot of confusion still exists about the prices for fertility treatment in Singapore.
This isn't surprising, as various fertility clinics in Singapore have widely differing IVF prices, which is in turn attributable to a host of factors ranging from doctor fees, to lab costs.
As you may already be aware, IVF treatment in Singapore is expensive. This post covers some of the most common cost-related questions that my patients ask me about, as well as explains exactly what you are paying for in both public and private hospitals.
If you want to read a senior gynaecologist's guide about IVF treatment in Singapore, you can check out this previous post.
1. How much does IVF cost in Singapore?
Here's the total price you can expect to pay for IVF in Singapore:
IVF cost in Singapore for private hospitals: $12,000 - $20,000
IVF cost in Singapore for public hospitals: $11,000 - $15,000
Many doctors will be able to give you direct cost estimates, depending on your fertility treatment needs.
Below is a summary breakdown of the total costs for IVF treatment at a private fertility centre:
|Total costs||What happens?|
|Fertility test cost in Singapore||$300 - $400||
|Egg retrieval cost in Singapore||$9000 - $10,000||
|Embryo transfer cost in Singapore||$4000 - $5000||
|IUI cost in Singapore||$900 - $1000||
2. How much does a fertility test cost in Singapore?
A fertility test in Singapore costs about $300 - $400.
The fertility test includes:
- A pelvic ultrasound scan for you
- A semen analysis for your husband, which measures the volume, shape and movement of his sperm
- A gynaecologist consultation, during which your gynae will see both you and your husband together to explain the test results
Your gynae may also recommend some further blood and imaging tests (at additional costs) after the consultation. These may be necessary to check on your overall fertility, and identify any possible causes for your inability to get pregnant.
3. What factors affect the cost of IVF treatment?
The 2 biggest concerns that patients in my clinic have are the cost of IVF treatment, and the likelihood of bringing home a baby.
It's important to remember that the total cost of IVF treatment is directly related to the success rate of the fertility clinic you choose, because 2 cycles of IVF will always be more expensive than 1.
Accordingly, here are the 2 most important variables that affect the final cost you pay for IVF treatment in Singapore:
1. The fertility clinic's pregnancy success rate
You are likely to require at least 2 cycles of IVF treatment if your chosen clinic does not have a live birth rate of greater than 51%.
If a clinic does not share its results, I'd strongly discourage you from considering the clinic.
2. Your age
Older patients have to receive higher doses of stimulation medications for longer periods of time. This increases the costs of IVF treatment.
4. What should you look out for in IVF packages available in Singapore?
A standard fertility package offered in Singapore typically includes the following:
- Doctor's consultation fees
- Ultrasound follicle scans
- Egg collection and transfer
- Laboratory charges (up to 15 eggs collected)
- All nursing fees
- Operating theatre room use
- Recovery room charges
Other things you should look out for, but which may not be included in the IVF package price include:
- Medication costs
- Additional lab fees as necessary for your condition (eg. assisted hatching and blastocyst culture)
- Extended IVF cycle as necessary
5. Are there any subsidies for IVF treatment in Singapore?
Eligible couples who seek IVF treatment in public hospitals can receive up to 75% in co-funding from the Government, for a maximum of 3 fresh and 3 frozen IVF cycles.
The amount of co-funding varies, depending on the citizenship of you and your spouse, as illustrated below:
|Singapore Citizen (SC) Couple||SC-PR Couple||SC-Foreigner Couple|
|Fresh||75%; up to $7,700||55%; up to $5,700||35%; up to $3,600|
|Frozen||75%; up to $2,200||55%; up to $1,600||35%; up to $1,000|
Do note that the initial consultations and investigations prior to your decision to start IVF treatment are not eligible for co-funding.
6. Who is eligible for IVF subsidies in Singapore?
You are eligible for IVF subsidies in Singapore if you meet ALL of the following criteria:
- You OR your spouse must be a Singapore Citizen at the start of your cycle
- You have started or are scheduled to start your cycle at a public hospital on or after 1 Apr 2018
- You are below 40 years of age at the start of your cycle
- You have not already received 3 co-funded fresh and 3 co-funded frozen cycles in the past
- You have been assessed by a doctor to have met the clinical requirements for IVF treatment
Do note that investigations are required to determine if you and your spouse have met the clinical criteria to undergo IVF treatment. This process may take up to 3 months.
7. How much Medisave can you use for IVF in Singapore?
Singaporeans or Permanent Residents can make Medisave withdrawals for IVF treatment.
The maximum withdrawal limits for individual treatment cycles are as follows:
- $6,000 for your first cycle
- $5,000 for your second cycle
- $4,000 for your third and subsequent cycles
There is a lifetime withdrawal cap limit of S$15,000.
8. How to choose the best fertility clinic in Singapore?
IVF is a specialized procedure that requires highly experienced doctors - not all gynaes in Singapore offer IVF treatment.
In fact, there are currently only a total of 11 fertility centres in Singapore, which includes 8 private fertility centres and 3 fertility centres in public hospitals:
- KKIVF Centre at KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital
- Centre for Assisted Reproduction (CARE) at SGH
- Clinic for Human Reproduction (CHR) at NUH
As with any other form of medical treatment, I feel that the most important criteria is that you select a reputable and trustworthy fertility clinic which makes you feel comfortable throughout the process.
Don’t be afraid to have consultations with more than one clinic - this will allow you to find an experienced fertility clinic in Singapore with a high success rate.
You'll also be able to discuss the cost of IVF medications and treatment, the procedures, and a general plan of action for your specific fertility case.
Here are my recommended steps to finding the best fertility clinic in Singapore for your needs:
1. Identify 5 clinics and send in online enquiries
Make a list of questions, and ask all clinics the same questions so that you can compare information.
Once you have narrowed down your choices, go to visit 2 or 3 in person.
2. Ask about IVF success rate
Ideally, the clinic should list both IUI and IVF success rates.
Ask the clinic what their "live birth rate from start of cycle" success rate has been over the last year with patients of your age, and in your particular situation.
You should also ask what the multiple birth rates are. Lower multiple birth rates means a lower risk of complications.
3. Prepare a list of cost-related questions
Ask for a full list of costs including:
- First and subsequent consultations
- Diagnostic laparoscopy,
- IVF treatment
- Cost of drugs
You should also ask if counselling is included in the costs.
4. Prepare a list of test-related questions
- Check that your clinic does a routine semen analysis before treatment because if there is a problem with poor sperm another form of fertility treatment may be more appropriate.
- Find out whether your IVF treatment cycle will be monitored thoroughly with blood, urine tests and ultrasound scans, and whether this is included in the overall cost. This monitoring measures hormones, which can vitally affect the outcome of your treatment.
- Check that the clinic is able to offer both the ultrasound and the laparoscopy methods of egg collection, if necessary.