Do I need to get checked if I used mercury containing skincare products, and how can I get rid of the mercury from my body?Skin, Hair & Nails Aesthetic Medicine
After reading news about mercury-laced skin cream, I realised that I had inadvertently used some of these creams before. I'm worried that the mercury may harm me, even though I do not feel unwell. Do I need to get checked, and what can I do to get rid of it from my body? (eg. should I request for urine and blood tests to confirm my kidney and liver functions are totally fine?)
Thanks for your question.
Mercury, which is a toxic heavy metal, is strictly prohibited for use as an ingredient in cosmetic products by Singapore Health Sciences of Authority.
Regular application of skin products containing mercury can lead to rash, skin discolouration and blotching.
Additonally, long-term exposure to high levels of mercury in cosmetic products may cause some serious health consequences, which includes damage to the kidneys as well as the digestive and nervous systems.
I will strongly suggest that if you suspect you have used any skin products containing mercury, do seek immediate medical advise from the nearest GP or polyclinic, as well as submit and report your claims to HSA.
I hope this helps and please get well soon.
Doctor Vivian Yong
Dr Vivian Yong
NOVENA MEDICAL CENTER SQUARE 2
#08 - 05/06 Singapore 307506
Acne Scar Removal Treatment in Singapore: Cost & Types
Battling acne scars? Find out exactly how much you need to spend to get rid of these pesky marks from an experienced doctor.READ MORE
Let's Talk about Laser Resurfacing: Breezing Through The Recovery Stage
Laser resurfacing has been a popular and effective scar removal method for some time now. Many people opt for this treatment due to consistent and...READ MORE