Do You Have 45 Seconds?
Leave Feedback
Please help us to improve DxD. Your opinion is important to us.
Leave Feedback

Are all dentists able to see children in Singapore?

Dental Children’s Health Paediatric Dentistry

Hello, I chanced upon your website. I would like to ask for my son. He is 4 going on 5 this year. He has these black spots on his teeth, I cannot seem to brush away. I am not sure if they are decay… He has never seen a dentist before, I don’t know where to bring him to… Are all dentists able to see kids?

Thank you for your question!

The black spots may be decay, or it may be surface stains caused by certain bacteria in the mouth. I would definitely recommend bringing him to a dentist to diagnose the black spots as the diagnosis would lead to different treatment for him. And yes all dentists are trained in school to see kids and are able to do so, however they may choose to refer to a kids specialist if they deem necessary.

Hope this helps!(:

Dr Joanne Lam
BDS

BALESTIER DENTAL SURGERY
10 WHAMPOA DRIVE

Hello Mr/Miss Tan, 

Thank you for your enquiry. Your son most likely has this condition called " chromogenic bacteria stains". He may or may not grow out of it, but most of the time this condition does not persist to adulthood.

If the staining is severe, it can be quite upsetting for the child and parent, and we usually treat this condition with probiotics for the mouth in addition to polishing the teeth.

Just to be sure, you should bring your child to the dentist to make sure the black spots are not decay.

Although all general dentists who have graduated have had training in treating children, not all general dentists have the affinity or special interest to do so. It is important that you find a dentist who is good with handling children and is patient and caring towards them. 

Sometimes such a dentist is hard to find, and a good place to start is by asking friends or family for recommendations . I echo Dr Lam's sentiments that sometimes it is necessary to send your child to see a specialist peadodontist.

I hope this information is useful for you and all the best!

Dr Gerald Tan
BDS, FRACDS, MJDFRCS

ELITE DENTAL GROUP

1 Grange Road
Orchard Building
#12-03 Singapore 239693

969 views 3 Feb 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Dental Children’s Health Paediatric Dentistry or ask your own question now FOR FREE.