Are facials recommended for big facial pores?

Acne & Scars Aesthetic Medicine

I used to have bad skin when I was younger, really oily with acne. Now my skin is much better which I am thankful for but I am looking out for ways to improve its condition further.  The pores all over my face tend to look big/greyish/dirty halfway through the day, and I hope to work towards clearer and smoother skin. I still get pimples once in awhile, especially around the chin area.

Are facials or face guasha treatments recommended? My skin can be quite sensitive to products and I am hesitant to pay for treatment that may aggravate my skin condition. I think my skin may also be a bit dehydrated as it feels a bit stretched and itchy at times (even though I use a moisturiser daily).

Thank you in advance with much appreciation!

Pores are a major concern for many of my patients and can be quite tricky to treat. Instead of facials, another way to reduce pore size would be through the use of lasers:

1. Carbon laser peel

The carbon laser peel is a laser procedure that works together with a thin layer of fine liquid carbon that is applied to the skin. When applied, the liquid carbon penetrates into the pores. As the laser is applied to the skin, the liquid carbon vaporises, reducing the pore size and removing bacteria and dirt along with it. This laser has no downtime and can be done every 2 weeks.

2. Fractional laser

The fractional laser can help to minimise pore size through its skin tightening and collagen stimulating effects. Depending on the laser setting, it can also help to improve acne scars that may have been left behind from your previous acne outbreaks when you were younger. This usually comes with some downtime (redness, scabs) for up to 5- 7 days.

Keeping your skin well hydrated is also important in maintaining the balance so that you can work towards clearer and smoother skin.

Facial pores are a big problem in Singapore. There is no Magic Bullet that will solve it.

Here’s what you can do to improve it:

1. Ensure your external skin is fairly well hydrated with the judicious use of water-based moisturisers.

2. Consider the use of low energy fractional lasers to improve the appearance through skin tightening effect

3. Maintenance treatments that control oil secretion, and remove excessive (dead skin) as people call it. Optically, this improves the appearance as well.

Most importantly, don’t confuse the pores with scars. It may be possible that you have a scarring issue that masquerades as large pores.

Yes, I understand your concerns because I do get asked similar questions quite often by my patients.

You might have been previously prescribed with oral Isotretinoin (eg. Accutane, Roaccutane, Nimegen) for your acne by a doctor previously.

This often makes your pores more prominent, and causes your skin to be drier.

I would not recommend doing facial and face guasha if you are unsure of the products they are using, especially if you are sensitive to them. This might trigger your acne outbreak.

You can consult a doctor for advice on treatments and skin care products.

Hope it helps!

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Acne & Scars Aesthetic Medicine or ask your own question now FOR FREE.