Are pus and blood-filled pimples due to toxins accumulated in my body from sleeping late? (photos)

Acne & Scars

Hi, I’m in my mid 20s, and I have stopped going for facials since the pimples around my side of the face kept recurring. I have been using AHA and BHA toners, and it helped in reducing the size, but I want to get rid of it permanently. On some nights, I also apply Niacinamide 10% + zinc 1% - not sure if it is helping. Are these pimples caused by toxins accumulated in my body since I sleep late? (According to my beautician) Are there any over the counter medicine, or is this too serious that I need help from a doctor? Please help, my face is terrible!

thanks for your pictures. There is no evidence that pimples are caused by 'toxins' in the body. However stress and hormonal imbalances are a major cause, which increases the activity of the oil glands. 

You seem to be suffering from papular acne, which can be treated with topical retinoids and benzoyl peroxide.

Niacinamide and zinc may help alleviate symptoms, but is not a medical treatment for acne. I would recommend a full consultation to determine what are the other possible causes and discuss the various treatment options.

Dr Chua Cheng Yu

2069 views 14 Feb 2018

Thanks for the question. The pus formed in acne is due to the body's inflammatory response to bacteria and clogged pores. It is not due to toxins accumulated in the body. 

Niacinamide may have some anti-inflammatory effects, and some over the counter preparations like benzoyl peroxide can help the inflammatory acne.

Topical antibiotics and tretinoin creams can help too, but these are prescriptive medications in Singapore.

However, if you are still developing new acne and the acne is not controlled by the topical medications, I do think that a visit to your doctor to discuss the treatment options, including oral medications should be considered.

There are effective treatments that can help to control the acne. You can read about some of the treatment options for acne in Singapore in this post.

2033 views 15 Feb 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Acne & Scars or ask your own question now FOR FREE.