Are there any alternatives to orthognathic surgery to enhance my facial profile? (photo)

Braces & Invisalign Cosmetic Dentistry

My upper lip sticks out more than my bottom lip. A doctor mentioned that my jawbone is not well-projected, so to get a balanced profile, I would need to get orthognathic surgery. 

Thank you for your question. From the profile photos that you have sent, it does appear to me that the upper lip position is ideal, while the lower lip is set back due to the retruded position of the lower jaw. I use the Zero Meridian line as a reference, which is a vertical line from the nose bridge perpendicular to a true horizontal line. The most convex point of the lower chin should lie 0 to 2mm away from this line. As you can see in the line drawings, the lower chin does lie more posterior compare to the upper lip. 

I do agree with your doctor that the issue does lie with the lower jaw position as opposed to the upper lip position. To correct the lower jaw position, a lower jaw advancement surgery will be required. However this is still considered an elective procedure and the decision on whether you require the orthognathic surgery (lower jaw advancement) still lies ultimately a personal choice. 

There are other alternatives such as a chin advancement (genioplasty advancement) or chin fillers/implants to mask the underlying lower jaw deficiency. However, these may not correct the underlying malocclusion that you may have. 

zero meridian

NDCS is conducting a public forum on tips to making your dental visit worthwhile. For more information, do join us at our upcoming NDCS public forum: https://www.facebook.com/events/81578365441187/

166 views 12 Mar 2019
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Braces & Invisalign Cosmetic Dentistry or ask your own question now FOR FREE.