DXD Admin from Singapore asked a question

Are there any benefits of choosing braces over Invisalign?

Hello, are there any benefits of going with braces over Invisalign? My GP told me that braces are more effective than Invisalign at correcting teeth. I’m quite self-conscious of wearing metal braces as Im in my late 40s.

Dr Sylvia Tan
Orthodontist
Dr Sylvia Tan
Orthodontist
Answered on Fri Jan 26 2018 07:01:55 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Dear Rongchian,

The benefits of Invisalign over fixed braces are these:

-Ability to remove Invisalign trays to clean teeth and gums, which means oral hygiene is easier with Invisalign compared to fixed braces

-Invisalign looks more ‘invisible’ compared to even ceramic fixed braces

-Invisalign causes less ulcers (patients still get some but maybe less than fixed braces)

-During ‘important’ events such as presentations etc, you can remove the Invisalign trays (but bear in mind it only works well if you follow the 24/7 rule for Invisalign)

Please do take note that not all cases are suitable for Invisalign and I do agree that in some patients, using fixed braces may produce a better result. However with advances in Invisalign technology, it is now rather sophisticated and can produce extremely good outcomes. I guess the most important thing is to ensure that whoever is treating you can diagnose and examine your case thoroughly and weigh out the pros and cons of Invisalign and fixed braces with you.

On a side note, please don’t be put off by age and braces. In fact, orthodontics is not age specific, and as long as you have healthy teeth and gums, you can achieve a nicer smile too.

Hope that helps! Good luck.

0 302 views 0 Doctors agree Fri Jan 26 2018 07:01:55 GMT+0000 (UTC)
Dr Alex Yan
Dentist
Dr Alex Yan
Dentist
Answered on Sun Feb 25 2018 15:49:02 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Hi Rongchian,

Both conventional fixed braces and Invisalign are effective in moving and straightening teeth.

One advantage that conventional fixed braces have over Invisalign is its long-standing successful history in correcting misalignment of teeth, whereas Invisalign is comparatively new in the market (about 20~ odd years).

However, Invisalign has gone through tremendous improvement over the years through their investment into research and development. Invisalign is now able to achieve results which are higher in complexity and also achieve results in a shorter time frame. This is greatly supported by the fact that every Invisalign case is submitted through their online software customization tool, which determines each patient's treatment plan. A large database was readily accumulated in a short period of time thanks to the tool (4 million cases at the time of writing), which greatly helped their research.

Fixed braces are a better option for patients who do not exhibit good compliance and discipline. As the name suggests, fixed braces involve brackets that are glued to the teeth. In contrast, Invisalign is a mould of your teeth which can be removed anytime and anywhere. Orthodontists view Invisalign as suitable for a patient when they need minimal disruption to their everyday lives (invisibility, better comfort, less ulceration, minimal disruption to eating habits etc.). However, do note that Invisalign still recommends wearing their trays for 20-22 hours per day. 

Both methods require excellent dental hygiene as both increases the possibility of cavity and gum problems. In this aspect, patients with Invisalign would probably fare better as it is easier to clean the Invisalign trays and their teeth, compared to digging under the metal brackets for fixed braces.

Ultimately, deciding which method is best for you requires you to have a consultation with your orthodontist. Sit down and discuss together with your orthodontist what your needs are and they will appropriately personalise treatment for you.

1 215 views 0 Doctors agree Sun Feb 25 2018 15:49:02 GMT+0000 (UTC)