Admin DXD profile picture
Admin DXD

Can a GP clear someone to drive after seizures in Singapore?

Neurology

Hello,

I understand this is a legal grey area that many Drs don’t wish to get involved in, but I was hoping I could get some insight/perspective. Long story short, I had recurrent seizures (grand mal) due to negative side effects of a drug. MRI/CT/EEG all show no abnormalities, and ever since I have stopped the drug April 2017, I have not had anymore seizures. However, as I was hospitalised before, I have been discharged under the care of a neurologist in a certain hospital, and he has advised that I will not be able to drive until I have been seizure-free for 2 years.

I have heard from someone else that the timeframe is only 1 year to get clearance, and I’m kind of stuck in a sticky situation now. My next TCU with the neurologist is only in Dec 2018, but I am hoping to get back to driving ASAP. What is my next best course of action, given that in April I will be 1 year seizure-free? Thank you very much!

Dear JY,

Good question. As explained by Dr Paul, a different doctor is not going to give you a different assessment.

If anything, he is more likely to ask for the letter/records from your neurologist, and follow his advise accordingly. This would be the most sensible thing to do, given that your neurologist would have followed you up all along, and would be best placed to assess your clinical picture and suitability for resuming driving.

Having said that, in direct answer to your question, “Can a GP clear someone to drive after seizures in Singapore?” – the answer is yes. All doctors can, as long as the necessary criteria are fulfilled.

On a more practical level, as a follow-up, you may want to consider emailing your neurologist directly (or phoning up the hospital to bring forward your TCU), in order to raise your query. This will at least help you to better understand your situation, and the reason he has advised for the 2 year seizure-free period.

0 1569 views 0 Doctors agree 26 Jan 2018
0 0

Dear Jy, thank you for posting your question.

We are under strict guidelines proposed by the Singapore Medical Association. I have reproduced a small portion for you below.

The decision depends on the diagnosis of the seizure, and the type of vehicle that you are driving. There wouldn’t be any point doctor-hopping, as all of us follow the exact same guidelines.

0 1575 views 0 Doctors agree 26 Jan 2018
0 0
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Neurology or ask your own question now FOR FREE.