Can acne scar treatments be combined in the same session?

• Answered3 times
  • Viewed1,142 times

You must be very bothered by your scars, and it is great that you are actively thinking about improving them. I am sure a lot of readers have similar problems and they are also wondering if combination treatment can be done in 1 session, so thank you for posting this important question. 

Treatment of acne scars depends on the type: macular, atrophic (boxcar, rolling or ice pick scars) or hypertrophic scars so it would be best if an experienced dermatologist can assess the nature of your scars in order to advise the most appropriate treatment. 

Focusing on TCA Cross, Subcision and Intracel RF that you mentioned, it is possible to combine Subcision for deep fibrosed scars and TCA Cross in the same visit. It is also possible to combine Subcision and Intracel RF in 1 visit. However I will not recommend a combination of all 3 treatments on the same area in 1 visit. TCA Cross treatment can be harsh and produce redness and soreness on the treated area, so performing RF on the same area right after TCA may increase the risk of complications. 

The above treatments you mentioned aim to increase collagen production and improve scar appearance. There are also other effective scar treatments for your consideration, such as targeted filler injections, fractional carbon dioxide laser treatment and picosecond fractional laser. 

Visiting an experienced dermatologist for a proper assessment is important. All the best!

Warm Regards,

Dr Ker Khor Jia

"Doctor with interest in Aesthetics and Lasers"

Acne Scar treatments can be combined in the same session- provided they do not treat the same area/scars or interfere with the actions of another treatment.

For example, Fractional CO2 can be used to resurface your skin superficially (for rolling scars and box-scar acne scars) followed by Subcision and Fillers to break down the underlying deep tethered scars. This is safe because different layers of your skin are being treated.

In fact, you will get faster results by combining treatments. 

However, do note that the down-time/recovery time will be slightly longer if a combination of treatments are being used. 

If you are keen for the most amount of improvement in the shortest time, a combination of treatments would be required to meet your expectations. 

Combining scar treatments in the same session is possible - provided that the treatments are suitable for your skin.

Please speak to a doctor who is experienced in acne scar treatments to find out the most effective and safe combination of acne scar treatments.

For more information on Acne Scar treatments, you can check out this Guide to Acne scar treatments in Singapore.

Hope that this helps.

Subcision can be combined safely with any of the more superficial treatments, be it Co2 fractional laser, Intracel/microneedling rF and TCA Cross. However I would be concerned if you do too many treatments on the surface (TCA + Intracel) as healing may potentially be impaired.

Further more, TCA Cross downtime (socially) can be as long as 2 weeks or more.. you may find that unacceptable as well. So do take care to discuss with your doctor first

Winston

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own quesiton now FOR FREE.

A Dermatologist's Guide To Scar Removal In Singapore (2020)

"Skin specialist with over 20 years of experience"

Many of my patients come to my clinic seeking scar removal treatment, so I decided to put together this guide to address some of the most common queries I encounter. It covers frequent types of scars such as keloid scars, acne scars and surgical scars.

An Aesthetic Doctor Reviews Acne Scar Removal Treatments in Singapore (2020)

Dealing with acne in your youth is bad enough, but the scars left behind can be a real nightmare.

New patients often ask me 2 common questions:

• “I’ve tried one laser session before. Why don’t I see results yet?”
  • “I still have acne scars and uneven skin texture despite 10 sessions of chemical peels. Why?”

This is why I have decided to write this article to help those of you who are struggling with acne scars. The best outcomes usually result from a combination of different methods, individualised to your skin type and scar! Here's what you need to know. 

Treating Active Acne Versus Acne Scars: The Differences Explained

All You Need To Know About Hormonal Acne: A Singaporean Aesthetic Doctor Explains

Acne… oh, acne… It can be super frustrating as it really affects our appearance.

Hormonal acne can affect anyone at any age. It is named as such because changes in our hormone levels can cause it. You may be wondering how hormonal acne can be treated. For instance, you may be considering:

• home remedies,
  • OTC creams or 
  • medical treatments.

Read on to find out in more detail how you can get hormonal acne treated!

The Ultimate Guide to Fractional Lasers by an Aesthetic Doctor in Singapore (2020)

Having smooth skin that is free of acne scars and wrinkles is the dream of many. There is little we will not do to achieve skin that becomes the envy of others.

As an aesthetic doctor who specialises in customised laser treatments, I have written this article about fractional lasers to help guide you in choosing which fractional laser treatment works best for you.