Can bloating and irregular bowel movements be a sign of colon cancer in a 27 year old male?

Colorectal Surgery Cancer Gastroenterology
I am a 27 years old male. For about 6 years, I been having problems of bloatedness in the stomach and irregular bowel movement. I have a good appetite and no weight loss. I have already seen a GP, but I am still particularly worried about colon cancer. What should I do next?

As your symptoms have persisted for about 6 years, your problem is very unlikely to be due to colon cancer. If the symptoms were due to cancer, your symptoms should have changed within a few years. In your case, you should speak to your family physician about the symptoms and he/she may recommend treatment for your symptoms first.

When a person is worried about colon cancer, the most appropriate and accurate diagnostic test is colonoscopy. Stool occult blood test is only used for screening of healthy individuals without symptoms. Radiologic tests require exposure to low dose radiation and if any abnormalities are suspected, you will still have to undergo colonoscopy.

Based on the latest statistics from Singapore Cancer Registry published in 2017, there are about 1,900 new colon cancer patients each year. Among these patients, about 10 (0.5%) are diagnosed below the age of 35. Therefore, your risk of colon cancer at this time is very low but it is not zero. Speak to your family physician first and he/she will advise you.

134 views 27 Jun 2019

Based on your age and your 6 years of symptoms, and assuming you have no family history of colorectal cancers, the odds of your symptoms being due to a tumour are low.

However, a screening colonoscopy is still your best bet in excluding a potentially serious condition. Discuss with your GP to explore this option. Colonoscopy is still the gold standard and in trained hands a very safe and quick procedure.

430 views 6 Dec 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Colorectal Surgery Cancer Gastroenterology or ask your own question now FOR FREE.