Can bunions be reversed, and how can I prevent a bunion from getting worse? (photo)

I have had mild to moderate bunions on both feet for some time now. They occasionally cause me some discomfort. Can they be reversed, and how can I prevent them from getting worse?

Can bunions be reversed, and how can I prevent a bunion from getting worse? (photo) 5b69221422f29e004d7ebe3e

Bunions get progressively worse with time. They do not reverse, and it really just depends when you want to get them corrected.

An example of a normal toes vs overlapping toes: 

bunion over riding big toe singapore

It is an anatomical and genetic problem, and they will not be able to reverse and go back to the normal shape. Please read this post (When should I have bunion surgery, and what will happen if my bunions are not removed) to find out more about the problems of delayed treatment.

If a patient is not keen for surgery, or not suitable for surgery (e.g. poor health), an alternative would be to use bunion straps. This is a special velcro strap that attempts to correct the deformity and hold it in place.

However, it usually has to be worn as long as possible (24/7), and it does not reverse the bunion at all. The deformity comes back once the strap is removed.

Hence, it is not a very popular orthotic to use. Some patients also use toe spacers. This is a piece of soft silicone that is placed between the big and second toes, to hold them apart. Again, it is temporary and does not reverse the bunion.

Patients are not able to wear many types of shoes if they choose to use the spacer, as it greatly increases the overall volume of the foot.

Dr Sean Ng
MBBS, MMed Surgery, MRCS, FRCS

Ardmore Orthopaedic Clinic

3 Mount Elizabeth, #14-13 Medical Centre

1045 views 7 Aug 2018
Not the question you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Orthopaedic Surgery or ask your own question now FOR FREE.