Can cortisone shots get rid of nodular acne? (photo)

• Answered1 time
  • Viewed954 times

Cortisone shots actually refers to what is known as intralesional steroid injections. It is a fairly effective way to treat persistent modular cystic acne.

The injections are administered by a fine micro needle and the steroid administered can be mixed with some lidocaine to dilute it and lessen the discomfort. It works well because the steroid has a strong anti inflammatory effect thus reducing the size of the cyst as well as the redness. You can expect to see results within 3-5 days although in some cases there may be a small residual cyst . A potential complication would be atrophy of the surrounding skin. 

From your photos I believe that some of the lesions are not modular cystic but more like papular pustular acne. Another quick and effective way to treat it would be to use the AGNES radio frequency device which utilises a fine needle to conduct the RF energy to the base of the sebaceous glands to destroy it. Once the glands are destroyed there would be no more excessive sebum to clog up the ducts leading to drying up of the acne . Results can usually be seen in 1 week . 

Hope this helps

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own quesiton now FOR FREE.

The Essential Guide To Earwax Removal In Singapore

We’ve all been guilty of ear digging. Most of my patients say they do it because they can’t stand the thought of earwax in their ear canal. Others will simply say that ear digging feels “shiok”. Imagine their surprise when I tell them that the ear canal is a self-cleansing organ which doesn't need to be cleaned!

This Singaporean Aesthetic Doctor Shares His Advice How To Treat Cystic Acne

Ah! Those growing pains. For some of us, they sometimes carry on long into adulthood… Acne can happen to people in their 20s and 30s, and even beyond that. It's one of the top reasons why people to visit a dermatologist. 

There are 3 stages of acne, with cystic acne being the most severe form. People who suffer from cystic acne have a lot of red, tender, and painful bumps (papules and pustules).  

Some of these bumps are hard, while others are soft and filled with pus. If one of them bursts, the infection can spread, causing more breakouts. It's one of the hardest types of acne to successfully treat. 

Dr Ho Rui Ming, an aesthetic doctor answered a couple of tough reader questions regarding cystic acne. Here's what he had to say.

All You Need To Know About Hormonal Acne: A Singaporean Aesthetic Doctor Explains

Acne… oh, acne… It can be super frustrating as it really affects our appearance.

Hormonal acne can affect anyone at any age. It is named as such because changes in our hormone levels can cause it. You may be wondering how hormonal acne can be treated. For instance, you may be considering:

• home remedies,
  • OTC creams or 
  • medical treatments.

Read on to find out in more detail how you can get hormonal acne treated!

10 Reasons Why You Have Adult Acne and What You Can Do About It

"Doctor with interest in Aesthetics and Lasers"

“I have acne and I’m in my 30s. Is that even possible?”

Yes! It is possible to get acne even when you’ve reached adulthood. In fact, it is possible for you to not have acne during your teen years and then suddenly develop it during adulthood.

Read on to find out some of the causes of adult acne and how you can treat it.

The Complete Guide to Seeing An Orthopaedic Surgeon in Singapore (2020)

These days, people are so busy that we sometimes forget to take a rest. We work and workout harder. This may negatively affect your bones. Some of these bones protect the various organs of the body, so you should protect them too! However, if your bones are negatively affected, you have to know which doctor to see and how you can treat bone conditions. 

As an experienced Orthopaedic Specialist who has performed more than 5,000 knee surgeries, I will tell you exactly how to see an orthopaedic surgeon in Singapore.