Wydiya Chan from Singapore asked a question

Can eye bags form on a teenager?

Dr Shane Abucewicz Tan

Dr Por Yong Chen

Aesthetic Medicine

My daughter is only turning 18 this year but she already has very obvious eye bags. Is this normal?

Dear Wydiya,

The answer is yes, but we have to ensure we are not mistaking the dark eye circles for eyebags. Certainly, eyebags and lax lower eyelid skin are conditions associated with aging and should not be routinely seen in a teenager. Eyebags are caused by prolapse (herniation) of the eye fat and this can lead to dark eye circles. However, there are also numerous other conditions that can cause dark eye circles, and these include - skin pigmentation, thin eyelid skin, prominent orbicularis oculi muscle (muscle under the eyelid skin) , stress and allergies to just list a few. Prolonged use of computers, late nights, poor hydration and stress are causes of dark eye circles and these can be modified with a healthy lifestyle to improve the appearance of the eye circles. 

Going back to eye bags. Some individuals have a retruded (sunken) mid facial skeleton and this can aggravate both the appearance of dark eye circles and also increase the prominence of the eyebags. So in certain families, you may notice a hereditary component and hence they may develop eye bags at an earlier age. Other causes which are uncommon include previous infections, injuries or tumours.

Most of my teenage patients and their parents are not keen for surgery at this age. Depending on how much it bothers your daughter, I would recommend lifestyle modifications that may improve the appearance of the under eye area and explore non-surgical options such as undereye fillers. Fat grafts are a good option if you would prefer something more permanent but yet would not want to undergo surgery yet. If all else is exhausted and you are still not satisfied then a consultation with an experienced surgeon would be best to assess if surgery would be a good option.

I hope I have answered your questions. Have a great weekend ahead!

0 38 views 0 Doctors agree Sat Oct 13 2018 10:16:32 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Dear Wydiya, 

Thanks for your D2D! It is not uncommon for teenagers to have eye bags. I do see quite a number of young patients coming for consultations regarding their eye bags. I usually will examine the patient to ensure that an eye bag is the predominant problem before discussing the treatment options.

A general approach will be for me to help the patients understand the surgical and non-surgical options. If the patient decides against surgery, and some instances, they may, I will offer a non-surgical solution called Eye Revo which originated from Dr Kobayashi in Japan and commercialized by a dermatologist called Dr Ahn in South Korea.

All that is required is some topical and local anaesthesia followed by the application of a fine filament introduced under the skin to stimulate shrinkage of the eye bag fat pads and then tightening of the skin. I hope this helps with your question.

0 122 views 0 Doctors agree Mon Sep 24 2018 09:15:59 GMT+0000 (UTC)
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Aesthetic Medicine or ask your own question now FOR FREE.