Can I apply to medicine in Singapore if I chose Physics over Biology?

Singapore Healthcare

Hi, just want to seek a little help here. I am 17 this year, currently a J1 student.

From young, i have always been interested in the medical field but i had kind of made a wrong decision when i was in secondary 3. I chose physics over biology.

Will universities still accept me even if i have no prior experience with biology?

I have been planning on taking up on work shadowing in local hospitals to see if i am really made for the medical field and if i am really interested. Can i have some advice on this?

Thank you in advance!

ChewJiaHui

You only need to take either Physics OR Biology, and Chemistry to apply to Medicine at NUS.

Refer to criteria here.

Yes.

I have been planning on taking up on work shadowing in local hospitals to see if i am really made for the medical field and if i am really interested. 

This is definitely a good idea, and I’d strongly recommend it so that you know what you are signing yourself up for.

Hospital attachments need to be arranged EARLY. You can apply formally through the hospital’s specific shadowing programme.

Click here for one such programme offered by NUHS.

Moving forward, Singapore will focus more resources on training GPs/generalists, and drastically reduce the number of specialist training positions, so it would make sense for you to shadow polyclinics/GPs too.

I suspect that med school interviews may also reflect this directional change, so it wouldn’t hurt to have some knowledge of the scope of GP/primary care work.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Singapore Healthcare or ask your own question now FOR FREE.