Can I get pregnant if I've never had a regular period due to PCOS?

Endocrinology Pregnancy

I'm 33 and have fertility issues due to PCOS. I've failed IVF once. I've never had regular periods, in spite of medication. I am currently still trying to conceive.

I am sorry to hear about what you are going through.

PCOS is a relatively common condition that affects many women. Women who have PCOS do face more challenges with regards to fertility due to the lack of ovulation during their menstrual cycle.

However, this definitely does not mean that a woman with PCOS cannot get pregnant! There have been many women out there with PCOS who have successfully gotten pregnant, both either naturally, or via assisted reproductive methods.

There are some ways you can try to improve your chances of ovulation and pregnancy :

One of the most important and useful ways is to exercise regularly and lose weight (if you are overweight). It has been shown that a weight reduction of as little as 5% can improve your chances of ovulation and fertility. Losing weight and exercise will also help to regulate your periods more.

You may also consider medications to help ovulation such as Clomiphene.

It is also important to screen for diseases such as Diabetes which are closely related to PCOS and can affect your pregnancy if you do get pregnant.

Hope this helps and all the best!

Best regards,

Dr Michelle Chia

I'm sorry to hear that you have been troubled with fertility issues. Yes, PCOS can result in difficulty conceiving, and this is usually because you don't ovulate regularly, hence unable to predict when the next ovulation will occur. There are medications available that can help with this. If you are able to ovulate with medication but still unable to get pregnant, then the cause for the infertility may not be PCOS related. I would suggest speaking to your fertility doctor about this and he/she will be able to suggest other tests (if clinically relevant) to do. PCOS is also associated with insulin resistance and diabetes and I would recommend getting screened for diabetes before you try to conceive.

I hope this helps.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Endocrinology Pregnancy or ask your own question now FOR FREE.