DXD Admin from Singapore asked a question

Can I still apply for NUS dentistry with non straight As?

I am an ‘A’ Levels JC graduate student. I am writing this specifically to Dr Meow, with regards to some questions pertaining the application for Dental school in NUS.

Last Friday, we received our results. I was really devastated that I did not get straight As. My grades are:

H1 GP – A, H2 Physics – B, H2 Chemistry – B, H2 Math – A, H2 Econs – A. I understand that given that Dentistry is a very competitive course with its limited spaces, the chances of me getting past the first round would be nearly impossible. Furthermore, both my Sciences (which are the main subject pre-requisites for Dentistry) got a B, which means that my chances are even slimmer.

However, I’ve always wanted to become a dentist as I believe that dentists have the potential to change people’s lives, just as how my dentist changed mine for the better.

I would like to ask you for advice, as I am completely clueless about my next step. Other than Dentistry, I have no other courses that I am exceptionally passionate about. Should I still try out for Dentistry? Will there even be a chance for me to get past through the first round?

Thank you so much for your help.

Warmest Regards

Answered on Fri Jan 26 2018 09:37:37 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Firstly, I would say just try to apply for dentistry first. If you dont apply at all, you’re not giving yourself any chances..

I think NUS does the initial selection based on bell curving the results of the applicants who chose dentistry as their first/second choice, so if the general cohort fared lower than you, you may still get a spot in the MDT and interview!

You may also use this period to do some attachments or shadow at some dental clinics to gain more insights into what dentistry is all about and whether you would see yourself doing it for the rest of your life.

Alternatively, if financial considerations is not an issue, you could also take this time to apply for overseas universities eg) UK/ Australia etc for their dental courses.

Some schools in Australia and in the US also has dentistry as a postgraduate course too. Hence you may also consider taking a bachelor degree in preferably sciences and carry on your dental PG studies overseas from there..

There are always many paths to take to a common goal, so don’t be too upset for now!

As long as there is a will there is a way! JIAYOU!(:

Regards

0 956 views 1 Doctors agree Fri Jan 26 2018 09:37:37 GMT+0000 (UTC)