Queenie from Singapore asked a question

Can I wear braces on just my lower teeth to correct an overbite? (photos)

I have an overbite, and my teeth are generally really sharp. My upper teeth is straight, but for my bottom teeth, the middle 4 are crooked. I’m wondering if it's possible to just wear braces on my lower teeth to help treat the overbite? Also, will shaving or filing down the sharp teeth to look neater cause my teeth to become more sensitive? Otherwise, what is the best solution to achieve straighter teeth? Lastly, I'd really appreciate advice on the approximate prices for these dental treatments in Singapore. 

Dr Jerry Lim
Dentist
Dr Jerry Lim
Dentist
Answered on Tue Mar 13 2018 15:29:55 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Hello. The straight up answer is no. Let me explain. 

1. From your pictures, the upper and lower teeth close to meet each other in a tight interlocking position.

2. When arranging the lower teeth, the arch would become slightly bigger as the width of teeth is now aligned in a straight line. This occupies a larger circumference. 

3. Your bite will become compromised if we don't align the upper and lower arch in a correct manner. The function and feel will be uncomfortable, and your teeth will be edge to edge. 

Thus it is not possible in your case to just do treatment in one arch only, unless we trim in between your lower teeth without widening the arch.

I wouldn't personally suggest creating space by trimming alone. Hope this helps!

0 607 views 0 Doctors agree Tue Mar 13 2018 15:29:55 GMT+0000 (UTC)
Dr Geraldine Lee
Orthodontist
Dr Geraldine Lee
Orthodontist
Answered on Sun Mar 18 2018 22:16:29 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Dear Queenie,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Unfortunately I would have to agree with Drs Lim and Toh, it would be best to treat both upper and lower jaws for overbite correction. A increased overbite, which is what you present with, is an increased overlap of the upper and lower teeth. The ideal overbite should be about 1-2mm. The reason for this increased overbite is due to both the upper and lower teeth, and not only the lower, hence in order to correct the overbite we would need to level and align both the upper and lower teeth to reduce the overbite. If you look from your side profile photo, your upper front teeth are coming downwards in the front, contributing to the overbite.

Furthermore, your bite is pretty tight, so straightening your...

0 502 views 0 Doctors agree Sun Mar 18 2018 22:16:29 GMT+0000 (UTC)
Dr Jaclyn Toh
Dentist
Dr Jaclyn Toh
Dentist
Answered on Wed Mar 14 2018 04:32:01 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Hi Queenie,

Many patients are keen to treat only the teeth with the worst perceived alignment (in your case, the lower incisors only). 

It is a misconception that one jaw treatments are easier than treating all the teeth comprehensively, unless the misalignment is extremely mild (only involving 1 or 2 teeth, that are very close to ideal alignment).

At the end of treatment even for both jaws, you WILL still have an overbite, since this is considered a normal feature that has functional benefits.

Some cons of treating only the lower jaw include:

1) Difficulty ensuring a good bite at the end of treatment, since the upper and lower teeth may not fit together harmoniously. You may not be able to bite on all your teeth evenly.

2) Difficulty gaining enough space to align the lower incisors fullysince they will...

0 585 views 0 Doctors agree Wed Mar 14 2018 04:32:01 GMT+0000 (UTC)
National Dental Centre
National Dental Centre
Answered on Mon Mar 19 2018 09:46:42 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Dear Queenie, 

Thank you for your photos. The majority of the orthodontic cases we treat have braces placed on both the upper and lower teeth. This is because besides straightening your teeth, we want the upper and lower teeth to fit well when you chew. 

In suitable cases, it is possible to do some filing down of the sides of the teeth to get enough space to align the crooked teeth. However, care must be taken as excessive filing of teeth can cause tooth sensitivity. 

It is advisable to visit an orthodontist for a thorough examination and consultation on the best option to straighten your teeth. 

For more information, please join us at our 'Smile.Sparkle.Shine' public forum at NDCS on 24th March 2018.  http://bit.ly/2DQuCh6 

0 499 views 0 Doctors agree Mon Mar 19 2018 09:46:42 GMT+0000 (UTC)