Can I wear braces on just my lower teeth to correct an overbite? (photos)

I have an overbite, and my teeth are generally really sharp. My upper teeth is straight, but for my bottom teeth, the middle 4 are crooked. I’m wondering if it's possible to just wear braces on my lower teeth to help treat the overbite? Also, will shaving or filing down the sharp teeth to look neater cause my teeth to become more sensitive? Otherwise, what is the best solution to achieve straighter teeth? Lastly, I'd really appreciate advice on the approximate prices for these dental treatments in Singapore. 

Hi Queenie,

Many patients are keen to treat only the teeth with the worst perceived alignment (in your case, the lower incisors only). 

It is a misconception that one jaw treatments are easier than treating all the teeth comprehensively, unless the misalignment is extremely mild (only involving 1 or 2 teeth, that are very close to ideal alignment).

At the end of treatment even for both jaws, you WILL still have an overbite, since this is considered a normal feature that has functional benefits.

Some cons of treating only the lower jaw include:

1) Difficulty ensuring a good bite at the end of treatment, since the upper and lower teeth may not fit together harmoniously. You may not be able to bite on all your teeth evenly.

2) Difficulty gaining enough space to align the lower incisors fully since they will be trapped behind the upper teeth. This means you may have to accept a compromise in the final result.

From the photos, your teeth do not look excessively sharp. I do not like filing down teeth just for the sake of making them look straighter as this is an irreversible procedure (even though the filing will not cause you tooth sensitivity IF done carefully) and having extremely level edges to your teeth can make you look older than you actually are, since this mimics the natural aging process of our teeth.

In fact, I tend to favour scalloped edges of the upper front teeth when making artificial teeth, since this has an anti-aging effect! This natural variation in edge positions also gives a very natural appearance to the final smile.

I would encourage you to get an assessment done in person and find a dentist that you are comfortable with to discuss ALL possible treatment avenues. This will ensure that you are well-informed about the course of treatment that you eventually choose.

0 1728 views 14 Mar 2018
Contact Doctor
Not the question you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Braces & Invisalign Cosmetic Dentistry or ask your own question now FOR FREE.