Can leftover filler be used on the face?

Acne & Scars Aesthetic Medicine

Thank you to all the doctors who replied my previous question on bruises due to dermal fillers! I have leftover filler from the previous time as one syringe was too much for me. My doctor did say she can use the remaining filler to do some touch up for me during the next visit. However, I would like to know how hygienic it is to use leftover filler? Can it still be used safely, and is this the norm in Singapore? Thank you!

The recommended guideline is for fillers to be used in a single session in view of the risk of skin contamination.

There have been previous studies which reported no contamination of partially used hyaluronic acid fillers.  

However, this particular study stands out. M Al-Haddab et al studied the potential of infectious contamination of hyaluronic acid fillers kept in storage (32.87–71.57 months after initial treatment). The study was published in April 2017 and reported that although no fungal or mycobacterial agents were cultured, 5 of 36 syringes were contaminated with bacteria commonly found on normal skin. He concluded that the usage of stored, partially used fillers carries a small but real risk of contamination.

Personally, I review patients 2 weeks after filler injections and would prefer to use any remaining filler at this point to minimise the risk of contamination.

I hope this helps!

Dr Edwin Lim

0 1102 views 13 Apr 2018

Hello CS

Thank you for your question again. Most manufacturers will recommend not to use leftover fillers as there is always a risk of contamination. However it is still a common practice in Singapore as some doctors will leave a bit of filler after the initial injection for touch up during the review session. 

Personally I feel that it is acceptable to use leftover fillers as long as the clinic stores it properly to lower the risk of contamination. I will also try to finish using the product within 6 weeks. Hope this helps! 

Dr Jiwei Wu 

0 1106 views 12 Apr 2018

This is a common question that many patients have asked me.

Personally, I review my patients within 2 weeks and use the remaining filler within this time period for the same reason that Dr Edwin mentioned.

I usually try to complete the filler injection in a single session, especially for Non-hyaluronic acid fillers like Radiesse. I am more cautious when storing and using this type of fillers because Non-hyaluronic acid fillers cannot be readily dissolved using hyaluronidase in the event of suspected infection. 

Hope that this helps!

0 1065 views 15 Apr 2018

Thank you for your question.

For all intents and purposes,

It is best to use the filler within 2 weeks.

The risk is infection, which is not a pretty thing. I hope this helps!

0 1048 views 15 Apr 2018

Thank you for the question. I agree with most of the doctors here. In my practice, I will use any remaining filler to topup for my patients within 2 weeks. After which, the filler will be discarded and will not be used for any other patients. 

Best Wishes,

Vincent

0 1027 views 21 Apr 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Acne & Scars Aesthetic Medicine or ask your own question now FOR FREE.