Can untreated cataracts cause long-term damage to the eye?

My father was diagnosed with cataract almost a year ago, but he hasn’t gone for a surgery. I’ve heard that cataracts become hard if not removed for long and you might potentially turn blind. Is this true?

Thanks for D2D. Yes, this is true although the likelihood is uncommon in a developed country like Singapore where healthcare is accessible to the population.

If cataracts become “hard” or dense, it can block the patient’s vision resulting in poor vision or “blindness”, but this condition can potentially be corrected with cataract surgery.

However, when the cataract becomes “intumescent”, “swollen” or “hypermature”, it may result in inflammation or very high eye pressure. This type of cataract may result in permanent blindness as the nerve of the eye may be damaged from the inflammation or from the high pressure. 

For most of my patients with significant cataract, I recommend them to undergo cataract surgery which is safe and effective,  to enjoy good vision.

721 views 28 Sep 2018
Not the question you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Eye Health Cataracts or ask your own question now FOR FREE.