tringuyenminh30 cq

Could dizziness be linked to a neck strain problem, and how can I get treated for it?

Sport Medicine Ear, Nose & Throat Neurology

I am 25 year old male. About 8 months ago, while I was sitting at the computer, I suddenly moved my head very fast to see something on the screen. Immediately I feel very dizzy. Over the next few months, the dizziness appear whenever I was at the computer, together with a headache at the top left of my head. I have been reading about SCM muscle strain and its symptoms. They seem to match mine. However, I have doubts whether that is the true cause, and where in Singapore I can get treatment for it. Hope to receive some help!

Dear tringuyenminh30

That is an interesting problem that you face!

When people complain of dizziness, we need to establish if it is true dizziness (i.e. the room spinning round) or light-headedness (when you feel dizzy such as after standing etc).  If it is truly the latter one, there can be several causes to it, but it basically boils down to a problem with your vestibular (balance) mechanism in the ear.  Precipitants for this can basically be considered as:

1. Ear factors

2. Non-ear factors

In the former, there can be issues with the semi-circular canals, such as BPPV, an issue with the inner or outer ear, such as otitis interna or externa (fluid, inflammation and possibly infection in the ear).  In such circumstances, it might be worth getting your ears initially checked by a GP before seeing an ENT physician.

Non-ear factors can include issues with vision (which may indicate the need for an eye assessment) or neck problems as you have eluded to.  Often, sitting at a computer can cause tightness of muscles, particularly the sternocleidomastoid, trapezius, levator scapulae etc.  Often in these situations, you can develop tingling and numbness symptoms in the upper limbs too from nerve tension and entrapment.

In this latter situation, seeing a Sports/MSK physician for an assessment might be an idea, but alternatives include seeing a TCM physician for acupuncture or a physiotherapist for specific exercises.

Neck related symptoms are a very common problem and certainly with increased smart device use and work in front of the computer, we are facing more of these issues.

Best of luck with your symptoms and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask!

BW

0 291 views 0 Doctors agree 27 May 2018
0 0
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Sport Medicine Ear, Nose & Throat Neurology or ask your own question now FOR FREE.