XY from Singapore asked a question

Could my sudden pus-filled pimple outbreaks be due to hormonal or bacterial causes?

Hi I’m 21 this year and I have been struggling with acne for 4-5 years. I have been to a skin doctor and taken antibiotics but stopped about 4 years ago. I have hormonal issues and long period delays.

About 9 months ago I started having sudden overnight breakouts of white pus-filled pimples that come in the dozens. They do not seem like formed pimples, but superfical ones on the surface. It would perpetually clear out but eventually return a few days later. I went to the GP and took antibiotics, but when I stopped taking medications they came back again. I would like to know the cause for this, and if it could be due to hormonal issues or bacteria infection etc.? Also, it'd be great if you could advice on a lasting solution to my problem as I do not like relying on medication as a temporary solution )-: 

Dr Colin Theng
Dermatologist
Dr Colin Theng
Dermatologist
Answered on Tue Feb 20 2018 13:12:36 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Dear XY,

Thank you for the question. It must be frustrating to have recurrent acne. While acne usually gets better as you grow older, some people do get persistent acne even in adulthood. Hormonal factors can certainly contribute to it and given your history of long peroid delays, it may be something that you may consider looking into.

Antibiotics do help control acne outbreaks. But there is often a risk of recurrence on discontinuation of treatment. There are other options for treatment such as isotretnoin that may give you longer term control and you may wish to explore this with your doctor/dermatologist.

Lastly, there other conditions that can lead to  pustular rash on the face such as gram negative folliculitis which can mimic acne. So you should see you doctor/dermatologist to confirm the diagnosis and for further treatment should you get another outbreak.

You can also read this post for some effective acne treatment options in Singapore

2 235 views 0 Doctors agree Tue Feb 20 2018 13:12:36 GMT+0000 (UTC)