What is the difference between Q-switch laser and other laser treatments for acne scars?

• Answered1 time
  • Viewed300 times

Fractional ablative lasers are traditionally considered the "gold standard treatment" for atrophic acne scars. Of these, fractional CO2 lasers have deeper reach than fractional erbium yag lasers. Intense beams of laser ablate or vaporise tiny "pixels" of surface skin and scar tissue like an ultra-fine airbrush, triggering skin renewal and collagen remodelling to resurface scars and rejuvenate skin.    

In general, faster and more improvements in sunken scars are expected with these ablative resurfacing lasers, as compared to non-ablative lasers like Q-switched lasers. 

However, the most common complaint with these lasers is skin recovery time - typically a sunburn-like sensation immediately after, skin redness and roughness for a few days to a week are expected as the skin renews and regenerates itself. There are also concerns such as possible skin darkening (post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation), especially in our darker Asian skin types, even though advancement in the ablative laser technology has improved this aspect. Acne should ideally be well-controlled as well before ablative scar resurfacing. 

All in all, the patient needs to be prepared for the downtime and the investment in time and effort for careful skin care and sun avoidance with every session of ablative laser resurfacing, over a course of treatments recommended for their severity of scars. 

The popular non-ablative Q-switched Nd-Yag "laser toning", on the other hand, is a relatively comfortable and simple treatment for patients that do not require much preparation or social downtime (mild transient flushing and mild pinpoint petechiae may occur). 

Besides the convenience and relative lower risks in Asian skin, many patients find it helpful to control ongoing acne breakouts as well, while lightening the dark acne marks and promoting better healing of fresh scars (hence reducing the development of new permanent sunken scars). 

There have been studies showing that non-ablative q-switched lasers can improve the appearance of atrophic acne scars as well, through collagen remodelling that take place over months after a course of treatment. From past experience, this is more likely to yield results in mild to moderate scars.

Adjunct treatments, such as subcision, Rejuran S and fillers, can be used to enhance the results for some scars without causing prolonged downtime. Other patients may opt to undergo ablative resurfacing on the residual deeper scars whenever they can take a little downtime, after improving their overall skin condition and gaining better acne control with the non-ablative lasers.                        

Of course, the quality of the actual CO2 or Q-swtiched laser being used is very important, as with the hands deciding the parameters and doing the procedure. Other non-ablative lasers, micro-needle radiofrequency and nitrogen plasma treatments are also now available to fulfil the different needs, lifestyle preferences and expectations of patients.

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own quesiton now FOR FREE.

An Aesthetic Doctor Reviews Acne Scar Removal Treatments in Singapore (2020)

"Doctor with interest in Aesthetics and Lasers"

Dealing with acne in your youth is bad enough, but the scars left behind can be a real nightmare.

New patients often ask me 2 common questions:

• “I’ve tried one laser session before. Why don’t I see results yet?”
  • “I still have acne scars and uneven skin texture despite 10 sessions of chemical peels. Why?”

This is why I have decided to write this article to help those of you who are struggling with acne scars. The best outcomes usually result from a combination of different methods, individualised to your skin type and scar! Here's what you need to know. 

How To Minimise Big Pores? This Singaporean Aesthetic Doctor Gives You Her Best Advice

If you feel like you’ve got pores the size of ping-pong balls, you're not alone! Most Singaporen women seem to be on a mission to get rid of them.

We'll start this article with the bad news first: Pores are a structural part of your skin, so you can't actually shrink them. What you can do, however, is to make them look less obvious. 

Dr Kellyn Shiau, an experienced aesthetic doctor gave some advice to a reader who asked about the possibility of permanently tightening enlarged pores on her face

Here's her best advice on how you can minimise those pesky big pores.

Treating Active Acne Versus Acne Scars: The Differences Explained

Treating Rolling Acne And Box Scars: A Doctor Shares Tips

Acne is not just a passing condition. Long after the acne is gone, scars in a variety of shapes and forms can emerge. Some common scar types experienced by patients include box and rolling acne scars. Fortunately, there are specific treatments and methods that can help improve the appearance of skin with box and rolling acne scars, which a DoctorxDentist reader asked about recently.

With expertise in threadlift procedures and acne scar treatments, Dr Ho Rui Ming serves as the medical director of M-Aesthetic Clinic. On DoctorxDentist, he shed light on the most effective ways to deal with acne scars. Here are our key takeaways.

All You Need To Know About Hormonal Acne: A Singaporean Aesthetic Doctor Explains

Acne… oh, acne… It can be super frustrating as it really affects our appearance.

Hormonal acne can affect anyone at any age. It is named as such because changes in our hormone levels can cause it. You may be wondering how hormonal acne can be treated. For instance, you may be considering:

• home remedies,
  • OTC creams or 
  • medical treatments.

Read on to find out in more detail how you can get hormonal acne treated!