Do fillers have to be performed by doctors in Singapore?

Hi Doctors. I had some fillers done. I was told it’s performed by doctors, but I suspect the person who performed the procedure is not a certified doctor. How can I be sure that the person providing my treatment is a trained doctor?

Whatsapp

Dr Rachel Ho and Dr Israr Wong have answered your questions well. You can go to Singapore Medical Council's (SMC) website to check whether he/she is registered with SMC.

He/she should have a registration number (MCR number), a valid practicing certificate, and a Certificate of Competence (COC) IF he/she is practicing in Singapore.

Foreign doctors are not allowed to practice or perform procedures without registration with SMC, even though they are doctor and they are registered in their own countries.

Under section 17(1)(a) of the MRA, any unauthorised person who practices medicine shall be liable on first conviction to a fine of up to $100,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or to both.

Repeat offenders face a fine of up to $200,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 2 years or to both.

Below are a few telltale signs that the "doctor" is not a certified medical practitioner and does not possess any medical qualification, or he/she is practicing without registration with SMC.

1) The procedure took place in HDB, beauty salon, hotel room or your house etc. Medical clinic should have a valid Clinic License displayed near the front desk.

2) The "doctor" is not local and doesn't speak proper English.

3) Fillers used are labelled in Chinese or Korean.

4) You were offered "half-price" treatment compare to other aesthetic clinics in Singapore.

Dr Lim Ming Yee
MBBS

MY Medical Aesthetics

MY Medical Aesthetics

108 Middle Road #03-03/04
Bernhard Schulte House Singapore 188967

1737 views 24 Feb 2018
Not the question you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Aesthetic Medicine Singapore Healthcare or ask your own question now FOR FREE.