Do GPs prescribe Norethisterone in Singapore?
I have consulted before with a gynecologist and was prescribed Norethisterone. If I were to go to a GP the next time, will they be able to prescribe me with Norethisterone or is this pill only prescribed by gynecologists?
Norethisterone is typically prescribed by a practitioner (GP or gynaecologist) to:
- Delay menses (especially if there is a holiday or important event coming up). It is typically prescribed at least 2days earlier than the expected date of menses (caveat: the individual has to have regular menstrual cycles and track when is the next one expected to come) until the end of the holiday, or important event so that menses will only come after that.
- Induce menses when an individual expected her menses to come but it was delay. (caveat: pregnancy must be excluded). If your menstrual periods continue to be irregular, a visit to a gynaecologist will be advisable.
Thank you for your question.
- In principle, yes any doctor is allowed to prescribe Norethisterone.
- Most GP clinics in Singapore will be carrying them.
- The GP must be “sufficiently satisfied” that there is a good enough reason that you are taking it.
- The GP must be “sufficiently satisfied” that all potentially dangerous conditions have been excluded.
- Which boils down to, please make sure you know your own medical condition, previous lab reports or scans before going down to ensure success.