Do I need to see a dermatologist for itchy, red patches on my face?

Acne & Scars

Hi, Docs! I’m in my late thirties but lately for the past few years, I’ve experienced what I believe could be hormonal acne with breakouts along my jawline extending to my neck. They’re usually cysts-like, red, swollen and painful. I’ve tried to refrain from ‘popping’ them but they always leave very dark scars on the area even after they go away.

Previously I thought I had very oily skin but recently, my skin has became very dry, itchy, flaky with red patches on the cheeks from my upper eyelids down to my jawline. It doesn’t really affect the rest of my face like the forehead, nose and chin. I’ve tried alot of skincare products but nothing worked. Should I be concerned to visit a dermatologist for a consultation?

Thanks for question. It does sound like you are having some jawline acne.  I do see this very often in women and this is usually related to hormonal factors.  The acne breakout commonly occurs around the mouth and on the jawline areas.

You have also described itchy, dry and flaky red patches on the cheeks and eyelids and this sound like possible eczema on the face as well. This can be due to underlying sensitive skin or can be aggravated by use of harsh products.

I do think that it would be good for you to see the dermatologist to get both conditions attended to. It is important to control the acne to prevent leaving the dark scars which may take some time to fade away. It also important to treat the eczema if present as many topical acne medications can aggravate eczema.

I agree with Dr Colin that you may be suffering from some form of facial eczema, or that your skin may have developed a sensitivity reaction to acne products you may have been using, which can be harsh on the skin.

The dark marks that you described after acne goes away is post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH). These tend to fade on their own, but may takes months to a year to completely disappear. There are effective treatments both to prevent acne, and treat PIH.

I’d suggest seeing a dermatologist, for the above reasons.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Acne & Scars or ask your own question now FOR FREE.