Do I need to see a psychiatrist for possible acne-related depression?

Doctor's Answers (2)

Dr Beng Yeong Ng

"Psychiatrist with over 20 years of experience"

Thank you for highlighting such a common problem. Apart from depression, the other mental health issue that came to my mind is that of social phobia or social anxiety disorder.

it will be good to consult a psychiatrist if you have mood problems and anxiety issues regarding your acne and how it has affected your looks and social life. Many individuals with severe acne problem and scars over the face have low self esteem as they think that they are not as good looking as many people around them. During treatment, your therapist can also rehearse with you how you can respond appropriately when people ask you about your acne condition and looks. We can this role play.

Many people would look at others beyond looks alone. For people who are truly your friends, they will be able ta appreciate you for your other inner qualities and attributes. Most of us are not such superficial beings.

Sorry to read about your suffering and social isolation. There is really no need for you to continue to suffer in silence. Do seek help from a mental health professional as soon as possible so that you do not wallow in self pity.


Sorry to hear that you’ve been struggling with depression. Certain medical conditions, esp. those affecting the way we look, can definitely affect our self esteem and social lives.

While I’m glad to hear that your skin condition has improved with treatment, I do think it would be helpful to have a chat with a psychiatrist to find out more about your condition, and if treatment (e.g. medications or psychotherapy) can help you cope better with these difficulties.

Health on the Net Foundation

This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2020 DoctorxDentist PTE LTD. All rights reserved.

All content posted is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. This Q&A is not a patient consultation and any information provided herein is not intended to replace consultation with a qualified medical professional. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment.

Quote RequestWhatsapp