Do I require a prescription for anxiety medications?

Dr Beng Yeong Ng
5.0

"Psychiatrist with over 20 years of experience"

Thank you for posing such an interesting question. Many patients at my clinic have asked me this question before.

For anxiety disorders, the commonly used medications that are useful include SSRIs (serotonin specific reuptake inhibitors) and benzodiazepines.

For SSRIs, there are some side effects that patients may experience, for example, nausea, vomiting, loose stools, restlessness, insomnia, and others.

For benzodiazepines, there are potential side effects too, like sleepiness and oversedation. These medicines need to be prescribed by a doctor. You may not be able to obtain these medicines from the pharmacists in Singapore without a prescription. 

May I wish you a speedy recovery.