Do mole removal creams work?

Skin, Hair & Nails Mole Removal

I’ve seen a lot of advertisements on creams that claim to be able to remove moles quickly. Do they work?

It is difficult to give you a definite answer on whether such creams are effective because it ultimately depends on what are the ingredients present in the cream. In my opinion, the safest and most effective way to removal moles would be either by surgical or laser mole removal.

Surgical mole removal refers to removing the mole by cutting it out under local anaesthetic. Don't worry, it sounds a lot scarier than it really is! First, a quick numbing injection is given and the mole removed surgically and a few stitches are applied to close the wound. This is a simple procedure that typically takes 5-10 minutes for most small moles.

The advantage of this method is that moles are completely removed from the deep layers of the skin and recurrence is extremely rare. Also if the mole appears suspicious, it can be sent off for analysis to confirm that it is harmless. I'd admit that scarring will most likely be obvious initially, but most patients barely notice it after 6-12 months. This is my preferred method for removing raised moles. 

Laser mole removal is most useful for small flat moles. A numbing cream is applied and a highly effective pigment laser is used to “burn off” the pigmentation from the mole. The procedure can be done in less than 5 minutes and patients are left with a small wound that will scab up over 1 week and then fall off, leaving a small brown area.

Most flat moles will disappear after 1 treatment. Sometimes a few sessions are required if the mole is a little raised or if the pigment cells are deeper. I always counsel patients that there is a risk the lasered moles may recur over time, but the same procedure can be easily repeated.

Dr Stephanie Ho

Stephanie Ho Dermatology

PACIFIC PLAZA, #08 - 05
9 SCOTTS ROAD

1038 views 6 Sep 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Skin, Hair & Nails Mole Removal or ask your own question now FOR FREE.