Does a low dosage isotretinoin course which falls below the recommended total cumulative dosage increase the chance of a relapse?

The right approach really depends on your social needs and whether the side effects have been horrible.

The conventional method is to achieve a cumulated dose (usually 120mg/kg) and this usually does result in a acne-reduced state for a few years. I have taken 2 courses before which helped but in the end, I self-adjusted and now I take the very occasional dose (maybe once a fortnight) and it works for me.

But yes if the dose is TOO LOW, the risk of relapse is definitely higher, but a high dose comes with higher risks of side effects. My personal practice for my patients is to start higher but after that drag the treatment duration for a while (with a low dose). Seems to work quite well, and you could consider that approach.

Hope all goes well!

Winston

There is a cumulative therapeutic dose in the range of 120mg – 140mg/kg that some doctors adhere to in the bid to reduce the relapse of acne.

Sometimes, doctors may prescribe lower doses (with lower side effects) until the acne has cleared and continue the course for a few more months after.

It really depends on the prescribing doctor as each has his/her own protocol.

If you find that you are still having relapses with lower doses then discuss with your doctor the option of a course to achieve the therapeutic accumulative dose.

With invasive procedures, Acnotin can affect the healing process and sometimes cause scarring.  As such, your Lasik doctor is correct in deferring the procedure since you are still currently on Acnotin.

Hope that helps.

All the best!