Jol from Singapore asked a question

Does Accutane reduce skin oiliness permanently, and are there any alternatives?

Dr Terence Tan

Dr Lim Ming Yee

Dr Kevin Chua

Hi I'm a 19 yo female. My skin was always, extremely shiny, greasy and oily. I have tried topicals and antibiotics. However, my acne is back again with painful red bumps, pimples with pus and scarring. My Derm told me to go for Roaccutance as he said that it is the ONLY method to reduce my oiliness. I would really appreciate any solutions as to what treatments I should go for that's best to reduce oiliness!

Dear Jol,

Acne is the most common skin disease, affecting up to 95% of adolescents. Severe episodes of acne can cause considerable physical and psychological scarring. All forms of severe acne require systemic treatment.

The available options include oral antibiotics, hormonal antiandrogens for female patients and oral isotretinoin, as well as combination treatments. Oral isotretinoin is the only drug available that affects all four pathogenic factors of acne, the first of which is excess sebum production. This may explain why it is so effective. A dose of 0.5–1.0 mg/kg/day of isotretinoin dramatically reduces sebum excretion by the order of 90% within 6 weeks (Dermatoendocrinol. 2009 May-Jun; 1(3): 162–169.).

Studies have been done on changes in long-term oil production following isotretinoin therapy. In one study published, sebum production was measured in patients in whom isotretinoin had been discontinued for at least 20 weeks. A 30% to 80% reduction in sebaceous gland activity was still present for as long as 80 weeks in some subjects (J Am Acad Dermatol.).

There are other options, like you enquired about, to reduce facial sebum production and help in acne.

The hormonal antiandrogens, Oral contraceptive pills and spironolactone, also target factors affecting sebum production in the skin. You may speak to your doctor to find out if you are suitable for these, as I noticed you mentioned you have tried antibiotics and topicals but not any of these treatments.

A few of the more studied topical compounds include topical 2% niacinamide (study in 100 subjects showed lowered sebum excretion after 2 and 4 weeks of use), topical 3% green tea emulsion, and topical 2% L-carnitine. Certain procedures such as chemical peels and lasers can also help.

However, acne is a complex interplay of factors; aside from excess sebum production, comedogenesis (formation of blackheads/whiteheads), P. acnes bacteria and inflammation are other factors to be controlled to achieve successful treatment of your acne. I would suggest you follow up with your doctor to discuss your concerns regarding isotretinoin therapy and your options.

Dr. Joanna Chan

0 183 views 0 Doctors agree Thu Jul 26 2018 08:03:40 GMT+0000 (UTC)
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Acne & Scars or ask your own question now FOR FREE.