Does facial laser treatment trigger psoriasis?

Aesthetic Medicine Skin, Hair & Nails Laser Treatment

Hi, i have psoriasis/eczema (I’m not sure which one) on my scalp and along my hairline. I used to have small round patches on my body too, but now these patches are mainly on my scalp. Recently i was introduced to do facial laser treatment for aesthetic reason in a beauty salon. The beauticians are not certified doctors and they do not know i have psoriasis/eczema. Do you think such treatment would trigger psoriasis on my face? I have already purchased the treatment. If there is possibility that such treatment would trigger psoriasis/eczema on my face, should i consult a doctor/dermatologist to get a note so i could cancel the treatment with valid reason? I am afraid that once psoriasis/eczema is triggered on my face, it will be hard to get rid of.

Also, I realised that my scalp became red and itchy after sauna. Is heat a trigger factor too? Another thing to note is that my father and brother have psoriasis/eczema too, but at different body parts. Thank you.

Thanks for the question. If you have a diagnosis of psoriasis, there is a possibility that certain treatments can aggravate it.  With psoriasis, damage or injury to the skin can cause psoriasis to develop at the site of the injury. This is know as the Koebner phenomenon. Therefore, you do have to take care that the treatment is gentle and does not cause any trauma or damage to the skin.

Likewise, for eczema, the skin is sensitive and more prone to external insults, so you should avoid treatment if the facial skin is still red or irritated as this can be more easily aggravate by treatment.

Heat can cause psoriasis to appear more red as this causes the blood vessels in the skin to dilate.  Some people develop more itch in warm/hot conditions.

It might be good for you to see the dermatologist to determine if you have psoriasis or eczema and also determine your current skin condition to advise you on your suitability for treatment.

Dr Colin Theng
MBBS, MRCP, MMED (Fam. Med), FAMS

The Skin Specialists & Laser Clinic

Mount Alvernia Medical Centre D
820 Thomson Road #07-61

Yes if I were you, I’d get a doctor’s note to cancel the treatment.

Facial laser treatment can definitely trigger a flare up of both psoriasis and eczema.

Both conditions can affect your face, and can be a pain to get rid of.

I obviously can’t give you a diagnosis over the internet without having seen your rash and examining it, but here’s how doctors often distinguish between eczema/psoriasis:

Eczema tends to affect the neck, inside of the arms and the back of the knees (called flexor surfaces).

Psoriasis tends to affect the back of the elbows and front of the knees (called extensor surfaces).

Eczema tends also to itch more than psoriasis.

Having a dermatologist examine your rash is the best way to confirm and manage your condition.

Offical Account

The official organizational account for DxD. 

Find out more here.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Aesthetic Medicine Skin, Hair & Nails Laser Treatment or ask your own question now FOR FREE.