Do You Have 45 Seconds?
Leave Feedback
Please help us to improve DxD. Your opinion is important to us.
Leave Feedback

Does irregular menses affect the chances of getting pregnant?

Gynaecology

Dear doctor, I am 29 this year and I have irregular menses over the past 3 years. I might only get menses once a year. I would like to check if that will affect my chances of getting pregnant?

If you are only having menses once a year, this is highly unusual and I would highly suggest that you see a gynaecologist for evaluation. 

Normal cycle length usually ranges between 24 to 38 days - that is, most women would have a menstrual bleed a month.

While some women do have a longer cycle length of say 45 to even 60 days, a history of having menses only 2-3 times a year would immediately alert the gynaecologist to look for the possibility of polycystic ovarian syndrome.

This is a condition whereby the eggs of the ovary do not develop to maturity enough to ovulate, hence there are many eggs that are "arrested" in mid phase.

These eggs continue to produce the female hormone estrogen, which stimulate and thicken the womb lining, but yet there is no ovulation to trigger the second half of the menstrual cycle to result in menses (shedding of the womb lining). 

This is a cause for concern because the continued stimulation of the womb lining (due to unopposed estrogen) can cause womb lining thickening that can increase the risk for cancer of the womb lining in the future.

Polycystic ovarian syndrome is also associated with other risks such as obesity, hypertension, and diabetes mellitus. 

Of course if ovulation only occurs sporadically, this can affect the chances of getting pregnant. 

I would advise you NOT to delay in seeking a gynaecological evaluation. 

Best regards

Dr Fong Yoke Fai

Dr Fong Yoke Fai
MBBS, MMed, MRCOG, FRANZCOG, FAMS

Astra Laparoscopic & Robotic Centre For Women and Fertility

290 Orchard Road, #16-07/08

1114 views 6 May 2018

Regular menstruation is an indicator of regular ovulation.

This is the release of the egg for fertilisation. If this happens once every 6 months you can imagine what your chances of getting pregnant are.

Once every 6 months as opposed to every month.

So yes, having irregular menses does adversely affect your chances of getting pregnant.

Dr Paul Tseng
MBBS, MMed, FAMS

TLC GYNAECOLOGY PRACTICE CLINIC & SURGERY FOR WOMEN

THOMSON MEDICAL CENTRE
339 THOMSON ROAD
#03 - 02 Singapore 307677

885 views 3 Aug 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Gynaecology or ask your own question now FOR FREE.