HSE from Singapore asked a question

Does LASIK enhancement for hyperopia require a longer recovery period?

Dr David Chan

Dr Claudine Pang

Dr Daphne Han

I'm a 33 yr old female. I did LASIK in both eyes 3 years ago. The eye in question is my right eye. It used to be -7 but after LASIK, it became +1.75/2.00. After deliberating, I did a LASIK enhancement 5 days ago. Today is the 5th day of recovery, and I feel that my near and far vision is very poor. I've had better vision even though it was +2. Is it true that hyperopic enhancement requires a longer recovery time? Could it be a case that I have developed astigmatism and myopia in this case?

Hi, generally speaking, it is quite common to have some amount of haziness of vision in the early period after laser procedures, although this is usually least for LASIK as compared to other procedures like epiLASIK/PRK or even SMILE. Also, usually there is no/minimal difference whether it is LASIK enhancement for myopia or hyperopia.

I would agree with Dr Chan that it is difficult to advise further unless we have further information and have a chance to examine your eyes.

Some of the information that we might need to evaluate include:

• Your actual visual acuity
  • Refraction test
  • Current corneal topography, and
  • A slit lamp examination of your eye

These can only be done in clinic and so I think it is best to revert to your doctor for further clarification.

0 302 views 0 Doctors agree Mon Mar 12 2018 01:11:55 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Dear EY,

Although we do not have the full picture of your case, it sounds like you had to undergo an enhancement for a rather rare change in power after three years.  I wonder of the results of your LASIK was good soon after the surgery 3 years ago. 

In general, in my experience of close to 10 years of performing LASIK, a successful LASIK enhancement surgery can produce recovery as quick as the original successful LASIK surgery, be it for myopia, astigmatism or hyperopia.

Even though the success rate of LASIK is very high, it still carries a small risk of side effects and possible complications. 

You will indeed need a precise eye examination, power assessment and corneal tomography to ascertain what the underlying issues are.  Do clarify and discuss with your surgeon as management options are usually available for them.

0 292 views 0 Doctors agree Mon Mar 12 2018 03:52:00 GMT+0000 (UTC)

In any situation, including where LASIK enhancement is performed for residual hyperopia, where the experience in recovery may deviate from what was expected, it would be best to seek the opinion of your surgeon.

A great deal of relief can be found once the situation is made clearer, especially when all that is required is a little more recovery time to reach the desired visual outcome.

Unfortunately, without the benefit of detailed knowledge of your pre-operative & post-operative state, all that can be said to you will be speculation at best, which may result in greater confusion and lead to undue worry.

My suggestion to you is to seek the advice of your surgeon early so that measures to improve your situation if required can be made quickly.

0 326 views 0 Doctors agree Sun Mar 11 2018 12:09:39 GMT+0000 (UTC)
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Eye & LASIK or ask your own question now FOR FREE.