Does protopic cream cause cancer, and should I be concerned?

Skin, Hair & Nails Breast Cancer

I am a 25 year old woman. Around 4 months back I noticed that my left areola was depigmented (dark brown to light pink). The dermatologist asked me to use Nizoral and Protopic 0.1%. He informed me that it was to bring back the color. I'm worried as I read that protopic cream can cause cancer. I am also wondering what could be the cause of the depigmentation (could Paget's Disease be a cause?) What should my next course of action be? Is there a specific specialist I should consult?

Protopic 0.1% ointment is a non steroid ointment that has anti-inflammatory effects of steroids. The advantage is that it does not cause skin thinning and atrophy which is associated with steroid use.

The concern of cancer and protopic ointment arises from the 'black box' warning by the FDA in the US due to reports of some cases of skin cancer and lymphoma.

However, there is no good clinical evidence to support this statement as the overall rate of cancer developement was even lower than that expected in the general population. So the use of protopic is believed to be safe and this is commonly prescribed for treating of skin conditions like eczema.

If you are still concerned about the depigmented rash, you may wish to see your dermatologist again or seek a second opinion as it this will require a proper assesment so that the doctor can advise you further regarding the rash.

0 953 views 22 Jul 2018

There is no evidence of protopic cream causing breast cancer. However there are cases of the cream resulting in skin cancer and lymphoma. A dermatologist or an oncologist will be more suited to explain further on this. 

0 917 views 24 Jul 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Skin, Hair & Nails Breast Cancer or ask your own question now FOR FREE.