John from Singapore asked a question

Does root planing reduce inflammation and excess gum growth?

I'm a 31 years old male with excessive gum growth which is most likely due to the medications that I am taking for my high blood pressure. My gums are constantly bleeding (even when I sleep). The swollen gums caused my upper and lower front tooth to be misaligned, and now it looks unsightly. 1) May I know if root planing will reduce the inflammation and excess gum growth? 2) Is root planing/deep cleaning subsidised by Medisave? What are the out of pocket costs that I'm looking at in general? Thank you Doctors!

Dr Chris Mak
Dentist
Dr Chris Mak
Dentist
Answered on Tue Mar 13 2018 05:00:18 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Hi John,  

Dr Toh has actually provided a very good and detailed answer to your queries which I am sure will be very helpful to you. I will just add on a little to that.

Sometimes at my practice, I do come across patients with similar conditions to yours.

However, there is a need to approach every case differently, depending on the severity and the main causative factors.

Some of my patients recover very well with just a thorough scaling and good hygiene habits, whilst others went on to require specialist gum treatment (ie root planing, surgery etc).

In some instances, patients also had to seek advice from their medical doctors to consider switching to an alternative medication.

What I did notice is that all these patients presented with some form of underlying gum disease which was undetected previously.

...

0 265 views 0 Doctors agree Tue Mar 13 2018 05:00:18 GMT+0000 (UTC)
Dr Jaclyn Toh
Dentist
Dr Jaclyn Toh
Dentist
Answered on Tue Mar 13 2018 02:56:50 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Hi John,

Excessive gum overgrowth (hyperplasia) MAY be due to medication such as anti-hypertensives (especially calcium channel blockers such as amilodipine), anti-depressants, anti-convulsants and immunosuppressants. However, there is usually a component of inflammation in the gums due to the presence of bacterial plaque and tartar deposits along the gumline.

I do not know if it is possible for overgrown gums to move teeth orthodontically. Certainly, the tooth position may appear different if there is a lot of excess gum tissue present.

Root planing refers to the non-surgical cleaning of the tooth and root surfaces underneath the gumline, usually done under local anaesthetic. Removing bacteria and tartar under the gums will definitely reduce inflammation. Some of the gum swelling may also reduce as the inflammation subsides. In some cases, the gum overgrowth may have a greater fibrous rather than inflammatory component...

0 278 views 0 Doctors agree Tue Mar 13 2018 02:56:50 GMT+0000 (UTC)