For a flat midface, what are the differences in outcomes if I had braces with jaw surgery versus without jaw surgery? (photo)

Thank you for your question. Braces treatment is only able to influence your teeth position, while jaw surgery is able to influence your jaw position. You may refer to this article that I had written previously about jaw surgery:

What is Jaw Surgery And Who Needs It? Here's What You Should Know

If your concern is for a flat midface, braces treatment will not be able to change that.

It is able to adjust the teeth position to fit your jaw position and if your jaw position is only mildly malaligned you would still be able to get a good dental outcome with no change in the facial structures.

However, if your concern is for a facial improvement and an improvement in the flat midface then perhaps jaw surgery combined with braces treatment will address your concerns better.

Hope this helps and all the very best,

Dr Priscilla Lu

Orthodontist