For a lower back injury causing pain that radiates down my buttocks and right leg, what treatment options can help to completely relief my symptoms?

• Answered2 times
  • Viewed429 times

Dr Dinesh has given you an excellent answer. Following an MRI scan, your treatment will depend on the degree of your nerve compression seen on your MRI scan (not visible on X-rays).

If mild compression, your sciatica leg pain is from a nerve irritation or inflammation and will slowly but gradually improve naturally after 1-2 months of back rest/care, pain medications and physical therapy. Radiofrequency/injection is optional as the effect, although immediate, is only short term temporarily and is reserved for severe pain despite the above treatment. Surgery, although helpful, may not only be unnecessary at this stage, it may cause you more harm if you have an unfortunate surgical or anaesthetic complication.

However, if your sciatica leg pain is caused by severe compression on your MRI, none of the above treatment will help in long term and surgery will now be needed to directly and permanently relieve the compressed nerve before you end up with permanent irreversible nerve damage when its too late to do anything helpful anymore at this later stage.

Hi there, 

From what you describe, it sounds like you have sciatica - which is basically pain along the sciatic nerve at the back of your leg.  This can be due to a problem in the back or from an injury or irritation of the nerve in the leg itself.

The first thing to do is to get this assessed, particularly if you are experiencing "red flag" symptoms.  A Sports/MSK physician or physiotherapist can assess your back and determine where the pain might be coming from.  They can then arrange appropriate investigations, such as an X-ray or MRI of the spine, before offering you treatments such as strengthening of the back, traction, massage, acupuncture, facet or nerve root injection and so on.

Sometimes, you may require surgical intervention if the condition is not improving or if you have the "red flag" symptoms.

BW

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own quesiton now FOR FREE.

A Doctor’s Guide To Fat Freeze CoolSculpting In Singapore

Some patients of mine worry about losing fat off the face, breast, or buttocks, when all they want is to get rid of that tiny tummy bulge. Fat Freeze CoolSculpting can target specific fat bulges, and sculpt your body without affecting other non-treated areas. This guide explains how!

Ask Dr Dinesh Sirisena: Back Pain

If you often experience a deep, dull, aching, or burning pain in one area of your back, you’re not alone. Back pain is one of the most common health problems Singaporeans battle with. Feeling back pain on a regular basis is not normal, even for the elderly. 

Join Dr Dinesh Sirisena, a highly experienced Sport Medicine Doctor, as he hosts a QnA session where he answers all the common questions on back pain and the treatment options available. 

Lying In Bed With Your Phone May Be Killing Your Back, Warns This Singaporean Sport Doctor
Tummy Tuck: Your Guide To Getting An Abdominoplasty In Singapore

"Plastic Surgeon at AZATACA Plastic Surgery"

Abdominoplasty or tummy tuck is one of the most well-known cosmetic surgical procedures in Singapore and around the world. You might have heard it mentioned in the media, in advertisements, and even in films. That said, do you know that a tummy tuck does so much more than just removing fat?

As a plastic surgeon, I have received a lot of questions about abdominoplasty. I am writing this article to help you understand everything there is to know about getting a tummy tuck in Singapore. Read on to find out more about the methods, costs, and also the factors to consider before getting a tummy tuck.

The Complete Guide to Cellulite Treatment in Singapore (2020)

"Dedicated to the ethical practice of Aesthetic Medicine"

Cellulite can be bothersome. Even with lots of working out, it might still not be possible to eliminate that orange peel-looking bumpy fat underneath your skin. If you are looking for treatments to reduce cellulite, this is where you can get all the information that you need!

I am Dr Chin Yee Choong. I am a Dermatologist that practices Aesthetic Medicine. In this article, I will be covering all the information regarding cellulite treatments in Singapore including the types of treatments, cost, and the ways to prevent cellulite.