For long standing cystic acne, what are my treatment options if even Accutane (Isotretinoin) fails to result in any improvement?

• Answered1 time
  • Viewed310 times

"Dedicated to the ethical practice of Aesthetic Medicine"

It is highly unlikely that isotretinoin will fail to result in any improvement in cystic acne if adequate dosing is used.

A higher dose of 0.5-1mg/kg/day may be needed to suppress more recalcitrant cystic acne. Sometimes it may take up to 6 months before the inflammatory acne can be fully controlled.

At the same time, complications of gram-negative folliculitis requiring the use of appropriate oral antibiotics need to considered.

Adjuvant treatment such as intralesional steroids and hormonal therapy (in females) may give additional benefits. A healthy lifestyle reducing stress and avoiding high glycaemic index foods and excessive dairy products will also help control acne better.

A regular review by your attending doctor will definitely help sort out the various issues highlighted above.

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own quesiton now FOR FREE.

An Aesthetic Doctor Reviews Acne Scar Removal Treatments in Singapore (2020)

"Doctor with interest in Aesthetics and Lasers"

Dealing with acne in your youth is bad enough, but the scars left behind can be a real nightmare.

New patients often ask me 2 common questions:

• “I’ve tried one laser session before. Why don’t I see results yet?”
  • “I still have acne scars and uneven skin texture despite 10 sessions of chemical peels. Why?”

This is why I have decided to write this article to help those of you who are struggling with acne scars. The best outcomes usually result from a combination of different methods, individualised to your skin type and scar! Here's what you need to know. 

This Singaporean Aesthetic Doctor Shares His Advice How To Treat Cystic Acne

Ah! Those growing pains. For some of us, they sometimes carry on long into adulthood… Acne can happen to people in their 20s and 30s, and even beyond that. It's one of the top reasons why people to visit a dermatologist. 

There are 3 stages of acne, with cystic acne being the most severe form. People who suffer from cystic acne have a lot of red, tender, and painful bumps (papules and pustules).  

Some of these bumps are hard, while others are soft and filled with pus. If one of them bursts, the infection can spread, causing more breakouts. It's one of the hardest types of acne to successfully treat. 

Dr Ho Rui Ming, an aesthetic doctor answered a couple of tough reader questions regarding cystic acne. Here's what he had to say.

All You Need To Know About Hormonal Acne: A Singaporean Aesthetic Doctor Explains

Acne… oh, acne… It can be super frustrating as it really affects our appearance.

Hormonal acne can affect anyone at any age. It is named as such because changes in our hormone levels can cause it. You may be wondering how hormonal acne can be treated. For instance, you may be considering:

• home remedies,
  • OTC creams or 
  • medical treatments.

Read on to find out in more detail how you can get hormonal acne treated!

10 Reasons Why You Have Adult Acne and What You Can Do About It

“I have acne and I’m in my 30s. Is that even possible?”

Yes! It is possible to get acne even when you’ve reached adulthood. In fact, it is possible for you to not have acne during your teen years and then suddenly develop it during adulthood.

Read on to find out some of the causes of adult acne and how you can treat it.

5 Effects of Accutane That You Need To Be Aware Of

Acne is a common skin problem that everyone probably has experienced at least once in their lifetime. While some acne can disappear on their own within days, there are many cases where people are developing severe acne that leave scars.

When dealing with cystic acne, you would want to do anything just to get rid of them. When home remedies do not work, stepping up your acne-care feels necessary. 

Isotretinoin, or commonly known as Accutane, is one of the medicine that dermatologist would prescribe you with. Accutane itself is a natural derivative of vitamin A. This means, a large dose of vitamin A has the same effect of Accutane. Accutane helps to clear severe acne safely if it is used as prescribed.

That being said, you are prohibited to take vitamin A if you are prescribed with Accutane as it can be harmful to you. This article explains 5 side effects of Accutane that you need to be aware of.