For masseter Botox injection to achieve jaw slimming, is it more effective to get 20 units divided over 3 injection points or 20 units in a single injection point?

• Answered2 times
  • Viewed1,543 times

How each doctor performs injectables such as Botox (botulinum toxin) and fillers differ slightly, and it depends on the patient factors as well as the doctor's experience.

For jaw muscle relaxation to achieve facial slimming, there are a few variable patient factors: the size of the muscle, the current facial shape, the desired end result, any concurrent issues such as bruxism (teeth grinding), as well as previous treatment results.

Generally the larger the muscle, the more Botox is needed, and the more points of injection for the Botox to diffuse over the larger muscle. Generally, Botox spreads 1cm with the standard dilution, so patients with small muscles may indeed just require 1 injection point. Personally, I prefer to divide the Botox dosage evenly throughout the desired area of jaw reduction. I have even seen experienced physicians spread their injections over 5 points of more. 

The patient's facial shape also influences the placement of the Botox injections. If there is already some hollowing seen below the zygomatic arch (cheek bone laterally), it would be preferable to place the injections lower down to avoid any further relative prominence of the zygomatic arches. Thus, placement of injection points, and not just dosage and number of injection points, is crucial.

Some patients tell me that they do not want too small a lower face as it makes them appear worse. On the other hand, some patients desire a very V-shaped lower face. Expectations of patients do influence the treatment protocols as well.

If the patient has bruxism, then dosage, and the number of injection points may need to be increased to cover the muscle area adequately.

Physician factors, such as the previous patients' results, do guide a doctor on how he/she adapts her injection techniques to best suit each individual.

See a doctor whom you trust, and is able to explain to you the rationale behind the decisions for his/her treatment.

It is more effective to inject the 20 units in the lower and more posterior parts of the muscle as the aim is to achieve a V shaped lower face, therefore the lower and posterior parts of the muscle should be targeted to shrink more.

By placing 20 units in one spot only, the doctor can not reach the other parts of the muscle and you may just get a overall sunken face rather than a slim tapering lower face.

Also , by injecting in the lower and posterior parts , the doctor can avoid Botox from
flowing in front to the risorius muscle , which will cause an asymmetrical smile .

Best Regards,
Dr Israr Wong

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own quesiton now FOR FREE.

A Complete Guide To Pico Lasers In Singapore (2020)

"Doctor with interest in Aesthetics and Lasers"

“Pico Toning” is a recent buzzword in aesthetic medicine, so it's no surprise that Pico Lasers in Singapore are one of the most popular treatment nowadays.

Patients who see me for pigmentation problems commonly ask me these questions:

• “Is PicoLaser a brand or a type of laser technology for treating Pigmentation?”
  • “Doctor, how is PicoLaser different from other lasers? Which is better?”
  • “What can PicoLasers treat?”

This guide explains in detail how Picosecond lasers can help you for your pigmentation issues. 

Thermage, Ultherapy & Dysport Dermalift In Singapore: Cost & Comparison (2020)

I've noticed a trend as a medical aesthetic doctor over the last 5 years - surgical facelifts are waning in popularity amongst Singaporeans, mainly for the following 2 reasons:

1. Prolonged downtime is not an option for most patients in Singapore. Facelift surgeries result in a lengthy recovery period of 2 - 4 weeks (sometimes up to 3 months).
  2. Society attaches a big taboo to “plastic surgery”. The number of people who tell you that they've done plastic surgery on their faces is probably less than the number of times that you've won 4D.

Hence, it's no wonder that the number of options for NON-SURGICAL face-lifts and skin tightening have increased drastically in recent years.

Face Slimming: An Aesthetic Doctor Shares How You Can Achieve It Without Surgery

For many women, especially those of Asian ethnicity, they prefer more conservative approaches to slim the face. Often, they shy away from surgical treatments. In fact, it is perfectly fine to consider surgery as a last resort or to even avoid it completely! When it comes to face slimming, developments in aesthetic medicine have allowed for various non-surgical approaches.

In my practice as an aesthetic doctor, I focus primarily on aesthetics and have answered many questions on DoctorxDentist from readers looking for face slimming treatments. In this article, I will share with you a few options you can try before considering surgery.

Read on to find out what they are!

Botox VS Dermal Fillers: All You Need To Know About The 2 Alternatives To Non-surgical Facelifts

Over the years, people have known Botox and dermal fillers as relatively simple solutions to improve features as well as to attain desirable facial aesthetics. While both are given through injections and are minimally invasive, they do have their fair share of differences. I hope that through this article, it will help you to understand more about these two treatments.

Dermal Fillers in Singapore: The Tell-All Guide by An Aesthetic Doctor (2020)

Dermal filler has become a staple in medical aesthetic clinics; it is no longer a novelty for people to have filler injected to refresh their looks or enhance their facial features. What kinds of dermal fillers are there? How much do they cost? What are their side effects? Let me guide you through finding the right Dermal Filler for you.