For someone who had chicken pox in the early twenties, do I still need Varicella vaccination?

• Answered2 times
  • Viewed365 times

Even if you had the chicken pox in your early twenties, the answer is still a yes (or at least a maybe) for someone your age (50s and above). 

Although it's widely accepted that most people do contract chicken pox only once and you do get immunity against it after, the same virus that causes chicken pox can also cause herpes zoster.

I’ll explain:

‘Chicken pox’ is caused by a family of viruses called the human herpesvirus. Human herpesvirus 3 (HHV-3) a.k.a Varicella - Zoster - Virus (VZV).

VZV remains dormant in your nerve, spinal cord or brain after you contract the virus and can be reactivated in times of stress or low immunity.

VZV, when reactivated, is clinically diagnosed as Herpes Zoster, which commonly known as Shingles, or ‘Snake’ as some older folks may call it. It basically a patch of painful or itchy rash that follows a nerve distribution.

It is still possible to be contagious (meaning people can catch chicken pox from you if they are naive to it). And it also comes with its own set of complications: 

1. Secondary bacterial infection
  2. Eye involvement leading to blindness
  3. Persistent pain despite rashes resolving
  4. In some rarer cases, motor skills involvement or even vital organ/disseminated infection leading to serious morbidity or even mortality.

So from a community infectious disease standpoint, and also a self protection standpoint, it definitely seems worthwhile to get yourself vaccinated against varicella in general.

The vaccines for VZV in terms of chicken pox and herpes zoster prevention are, however, different products.

DO talk to your trusted physician about your options or suitability if you are interested. 

"Family Physician with special interest in Mental Health"

Chickenpox is a virus that hides inside our body forever. It hides in the nerve cells, and sometimes when your immunity is poor, it can flare up and become shingles/zoster.

Our body will continue to produce antibodies (immunity) to control the virus. There is no need to get a chickenpox vaccine in this case.

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own quesiton now FOR FREE.

5 STDs Making A Comeback in Singapore (And How To Get Tested) (NSFW)

I often get asked what sexually transmitted diseases look like. In a nutshell, the 4 most common signs I see in clinic that suggest an STD are:

1. Discharge
  2. Pain on urination
  3. Growths
  4. Ulcers

All of these can affect the penis, vagina, or anus.

Complete Guide To STD Tests In Singapore (2020)

You've finally decided to settle down, but want to be sure that you are free of sexually transmitted infections. What should you do, and where do you turn to?

STD screening is important, as it prevents the spread of disease to others. Many STDs are treatable.

The Complete Guide To Seeing A Dermatologist In Singapore (2020)

I'm writing this post because "recommend me a good dermatologist in Singapore" is one of the questions I'm most often asked by friends -  Now I can just direct them to this post.

A dermatologist is a medical doctor with specialist training who treats diseases of the nails, hair, and skin. In Singapore, dermatology is considered a medical specialty, and only doctors certified as dermatologists by the Ministry of Health are recognised as such.

This post explains in detail how to find a suitable dermatologist for your condition and treatment needs in Singapore.

The Rise of Food Supplements in Singapore: Do I REALLY Need Them?

Thinking of getting food supplements in Singapore? Which one? There are simply so many different kinds. Consider these factors before getting them!

Most people in Singapore would relate the words fast-paced, busy, and hectic with their lifestyles. At times, nutritious foods might not be on our priority list. For that, people would often rely on food supplements.

Have you ever stop and consider: Do I really need supplements? Why do I need to take supplements? Why am I taking this specific supplement?

It is impossible to cover every single supplement one by one. A supplement that works for others may not work for you. Supplements can only work if it is individualised to you.

I wrote this post to help you sort that out. Click to find out more!

The Ultimate Guide to Dark Eye Circle Treatments in Singapore (2020)

Dark eye circles are a huge concern to a lot of people. That is true for both students and working professionals. They are not much of a health problem but its appearance can be quite bothersome.

Dark eye circles can make you look tired and unmotivated. On top of that, they do not go away easily. That can be a huge problem if your job requires you to meet with clients.

Although most people think that lack of sleep is the main cause of dark circles, there are actually many more determining factors. Those factors are important in determining the most effective way to treat them.

I wrote this article to help you with your research. Read on to find out more!