How does fractional CO2 laser assist in drug delivery into the skin to improve the uptake of therapy drug? (photo)

• Answered1 time
  • Viewed169 times

Uptake of topical drugs on the skin is usually limited by the protective epidermis of the skin. Epidermis is the outermost layer of the skin [1].

Fractional CO2 can disrupt this barrier with the ablation of columns of the epidermis and allow better penetration of topical drugs on the skin.

Lasers do show great enhancement of skin permeation [2]. It is also proven that lasers help to achieve higher upper uptake within a shortened amount of time with minimal skin barrier [3].

References:

1. Alkilani A, McCrudden MT, Donnelly R. Transdermal Drug Delivery: Innovative Pharmaceutical Developments Based on Disruption of the Barrier Properties of the Stratum CorneumPharmaceutics. 2015;7(4):438-470. doi:10.3390/pharmaceutics7040438

2. Lee W-R, Shen S-C, Wang K-H, Hu C-H, Fang J-Y. Lasers and Microdermabrasion Enhance and Control Topical Delivery of Vitamin C. Journal of Investigative Dermatology. 2003;121(5):1118-1125. doi:10.1046/j.1523-1747.2003.12537.x
3. Lim HK, Jeong KH, Kim NI, Shin MK. Nonablative fractional laser as a tool to facilitate skin penetration of 5-aminolaevulinic acid with minimal skin disruption: a preliminary study. The British journal of dermatology. 2014;170(6):1336-1340. doi:10.1111/bjd.12817

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own quesiton now FOR FREE.

How Do Gynaecologists Have Babies? 13 Essential Insights To How Doctors Manage Their Own Pregnancies

Let me first begin with a caveat that this post is solely based on the observations of my gynaecologist colleagues, and my own pregnancy/birthing experiences as a mummy of 3. The timespan of this was over 17 years, during the time I was first practising as a junior doctor, then as a gynaecologist consultant in Singapore.

At least 30 colleagues of mine have had babies over this time period, and for some, certainly more than once or twice.

A Dermatologist's Guide To Scar Removal In Singapore (2020)

"Skin specialist with over 20 years of experience"

Many of my patients come to my clinic seeking scar removal treatment, so I decided to put together this guide to address some of the most common queries I encounter. It covers frequent types of scars such as keloid scars, acne scars and surgical scars.

Scars, Pores, And Milia: A Singaporean Doctor Answers Readers’ Skin Questions
Treating Rolling Acne And Box Scars: A Doctor Shares Tips

Acne is not just a passing condition. Long after the acne is gone, scars in a variety of shapes and forms can emerge. Some common scar types experienced by patients include box and rolling acne scars. Fortunately, there are specific treatments and methods that can help improve the appearance of skin with box and rolling acne scars, which a DoctorxDentist reader asked about recently.

With expertise in threadlift procedures and acne scar treatments, Dr Ho Rui Ming serves as the medical director of M-Aesthetic Clinic. On DoctorxDentist, he shed light on the most effective ways to deal with acne scars. Here are our key takeaways.

The Ultimate Guide to Fractional Lasers by an Aesthetic Doctor in Singapore (2020)

Having smooth skin that is free of acne scars and wrinkles is the dream of many. There is little we will not do to achieve skin that becomes the envy of others.

As an aesthetic doctor who specialises in customised laser treatments, I have written this article about fractional lasers to help guide you in choosing which fractional laser treatment works best for you.