How are pigmented birthmarks removed in Singapore?

Doctor's Answers (2)

As mentioned, we have to know the type, colour, extent and location of the birthmark to advise on the most suitable treatment to remove it, be it by laser or surgical methods.

Take for instance, this hyperpigmented blue-black birthmark, called Ota of Naevus, is commonly found on one side on the face around the eye. Pigmentation lasers (eg Q-switched Nd Yag) can be used to treat this birthmark. Several laser sessions are needed and each time, there will be some expected downtime eg redness for a few days.

Another type of birthmark that is red-purplish in colour called Port Wine Stain, can also be found on one side of the face. In this case, vascular lasers are required with several sessions to lighten the birthmark.

So I would recommend you to speak to an experienced doctor in this area to discuss on the most suitable option for you.

Hope this Helps!


Dr David Ng C H

it really depends on the size, location and type of congenital birthmark you have.

Congenital birthmark removal in Singapore is typically done with lasers, or a minor surgical procedure to “cut it out” under local anaesthesia (called surgical excision).

The type of birthmark determines the method by which it can be removed.

1. If your birthmark is red, you can choose either lasers, or surgical excision. A few lasers commonly offered in Singapore that are effective include the pulsed dye laser and Nd:YAG. You can see the cost of lasers in Singapore here. Laser treatments typically require repeat sessions: up to 6-8 treatments over a year. A single surgical excision will get rid of your birthmark.

2. If your birthmark is brown (including moles), then lasers are pretty ineffective, as the brown pigment is due to melanin in your skin, and lasers cannot selectively remove pigments. Most doctor would recommend surgical excision.

The added benefit of surgical excision is that the sample can also be sent to the lab for microscopic examination to determine if there are any abnormal cells. 

In Singapore, I’d suggest going to see a dermatologist experienced with surgical procedures.

Health on the Net Foundation

This site complies with the {0=HONcode standard for trustworthy health} information: {1=verify here}.

© 2020 DoctorxDentist PTE LTD. All rights reserved.

All content posted is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. This Q&A is not a patient consultation and any information provided herein is not intended to replace consultation with a qualified medical professional. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment.

Quote RequestWhatsapp