How can I best prepare for a gastroscopy?

Gastroenterology

I understand that the successfulness of the gastroscopy depends partly on how well I prepare for it. May I know your advice on how I can best prepare for the gastroscopy?

gastroscopy preparation singapore

Thanks for the D2D. Preparation for gastroscopy is surprisingly simple. My patients are allowed to take a light meal 6 hours or more before the procedure.

gastroscopy preparation singapore

Clear liquids such as water, fruit juice without pulp and carbonated beverages may still be taken until up to 2 hours before the gastroscopy. In certain cases, I may recommend a longer fasting period, for example, after heavy meals or in patient with slow stomach emptying.

Although the fasting preparation is very simple, it is crucial to allow clear visualization of the stomach to enable accurate diagnosis and treatment.

Patients should inform their doctor about all the medication they are taking so that they can be properly advised. I will discuss whether my patients should continue or stop their existing medication.

For example, I may recommend that certain blood thinning medication be stopped before the procedure. This will allow me to take biopsies and perform endoscopic interventions without an increased risk of bleeding.

Dr Jarrod Lee
MBBS(S'pore), MRCP(UK)

Jarrod Lee Gastroenterology & Liver Clinic
38 IRRAWADDY ROAD
MOUNT ELIZABETH NOVENA SPECIALIST CENTRE
#10 - 58 Singapore 329563

590 views 16 Oct 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Gastroenterology or ask your own question now FOR FREE.