Nadiah from Singapore asked a question

How can I get a definitive diagnosis for a skin condition in Singapore?

Dr Chua Cheng Yu

Dr Colin Theng

I'm a 30 years old female. I've recently given birth to a boy. 1 week later i had itchiness on my abdomen and I thought it was due to the stretch marks. But since then I've developed itchy rashes that at first look like hives on my arms and has spread to my legs. Now they look red and bumpy and are extremely itchy. There's a large patch on my forearm and it's swollen. It has been about 3 weeks since the itchiness started. I read online that it could be Pruritic Urticarial Papules and Plaques of Pregnancy (PUPPP). However there are some areas that look like scabies. My husband has no symptoms. I'm worried that a GP might not be able to diagnose skin conditions. What is the best way to get a definitive diagnosis?

Hi Nadiah, 

Getting a rash after delivery could indeed be Pruritic Urticarial Papules and Plaques of Pregnancy  (PUPP). However a diagnosis still needs to be made based on a careful examination of the skin by a medical professional.

As you rightly pointed out, there is also a possibility of scabies. Unfortunately there is not enough information to make a definitive diagnosis. 

In the meantime, there are a few steps you can take to help. 

• Take antihistamines to relieve  the itch.
  • Use moisturiser to repair  the skin and make it stronger and less prone to breaking, which further aggravates itch. 
  • Avoid taking hot baths or showers. Whilst doing this might help with the itch initially, the increased blood flow to the skin will make the rash worse afterwards. 
  • Try putting a wet towel in the fridge. When it itches, place the cold wet towel on the rash to relieve the rash.

Your doctor may prescribe steroid cream or one combined with an antibiotic to reduce the rash.

Try putting a wet towel in the fridge. When it itches, place the cold wet towel on the rash to relieve the rash.

0 213 views 0 Doctors agree Mon May 07 2018 15:24:08 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Dear Nadiah,

It must be frustrating to be having these itchy rashes for 3 weeks. PUPPP often occurs in the third trimester of pregnancy and improves on delivery, although I have seen some people develop this condition after delivery. 

To be more certain about the diagosis of your skin condition,  you might want to consider visiting your dermatologist.

Dermatologists specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of skin disorders and  will be able to assess your condition and advise you on the appropriate treatment and management.

0 218 views 0 Doctors agree Mon May 07 2018 14:01:46 GMT+0000 (UTC)
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Skin, Hair & Nails or ask your own question now FOR FREE.