How can I get rid of a raised and pigmented scar caused by an injury? (photo)

Aesthetic Medicine Skin, Hair & Nails

I fell off a bicycle 2 months ago while riding through a park and suffered multiple injuries. One of them is an injury on my knee. The other wounds have healed and have left some scarring, however the injury on my knee seems to have left behind a scar. How can I get rid of the scar?

That appears to be a hyperpigmented hypertrophic scar on your knee. 2 months is still considered early in the course of scar maturation, and you can still expect improvement at this point. 

However, it appears that the proliferative stage of healing was either prolonged or very intense, resulting in the thickened and dark scar you see. This may be due to a variety of factors, such as contamination, infection, excess movement and so on. Steroid injections will help with both the colour and the thickness. Scar revision via a minor surgery would definitely help and can be claimed under Medisave. 

Best Regards, 

Dr Samuel Ho

0 999 views 28 May 2018

For such hypertrophic scars, I would advise steroid injections and lasers to flatten the scar, as well as to lighten it. Multiple sessions will be required for optimal results.

Hope that helps. 

All the best!

0 999 views 28 May 2018

Based on the photo, it looks like a keloid. A keloid is an overgrowth of scar tissue after an injury. It occurs in certain keloid-prone individuals, and keloids commonly form over the ears, shoulders, chest, back, and limbs.    

Corticosteroid injection is the mainstay of keloid treatment. Steroid is injected into the scar to flatten and soften it. It is very effective in treating the itch and discomfort related to the keloids. Monthly treatments are required for several months.

Several lasers have also been used to improve the appearance of keloids and is useful as an adjunct to steroid injections. It is best to discuss the various treatment options with your doctor. Cheers!

Regards, Dr. Terence Tan 

0 946 views 2 Jun 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Aesthetic Medicine Skin, Hair & Nails or ask your own question now FOR FREE.