How can I get the best results after tattoo removal, and what is the recovery process like?

Skin, Hair & Nails Tattoo Removal

I have been scheduled for a few sessions of laser tattoo removal. How can I get the best results after laser tattoo removal treatment? (eg. in terms of complete removal, minimizing scarring, preventing infection etc). What can I expect during recovery after laser tattoo removal?

It is very important to adopt proper post laser aftercare for the entire recovery process. After each treatment, the treated area may seem like a superficial burn wound and you need to treat it like an open wound.

You may expect to experience the following side effects like blistering, scabbing or itching after a few days.

However, the above side effects are temporary and will subside within a week. I prescribe a treatment regime and when followed helps to speed the healing process and reduce the chances of scarring.

Here are some basic tips:

1. Apply the treated area with a thin layer of antibiotic and bandage it with sterile gauze.
  2. Always keep the treated area clean and dry, and when necessary, clean the area gently with mild soap and water.
  3. Itching is very common but do not scratch or pick any scabs that may form. Take antihistamines to alleviate itch.
  4. Do keep the area out of direct sun exposure whenever possible and avoid sun tanning.

Complete healing takes about 4 to 6 weeks, depending on your age, aftercare, immune system and whether you are someone who smokes.

Dr Kevin Chua
MBBS, GDFM

Dr Kevin Chua Medical & Aesthetics

360 Orchard Road,

International Building #03-05,

562 views 14 Aug 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Skin, Hair & Nails Tattoo Removal or ask your own question now FOR FREE.