How can I improve ovarian reserves?

Gynaecology Pregnancy

Hi Doctor, we are trying to conceive. My husband is perfectly fine, but my medical scan shows that my left ovary follicle has lower capacity than my right. My first round of SO-IUI was unsuccessful. May I know how I can improve my ovarian reserves?

It is not something than one can improve as such.... as we are all born with a fixed number of follicles which gradually and steadily reduce in number over time.. Controllable factors are smoking and excessive drinking!

If you can, avoid repeated ovarian surgery. As multiple cystectomies with excessive diathermy use is related to decreased reserve. However some conditions requiring cystectomy  may also contribute to reduced ovarian reserve in the first place eg chronic endometriosis. 

Dr Jasmine Mohd
MBBS, MMed, MRCOG, FAMS

W C CHENG & ASSOCIATES

339 THOMSON ROAD
THOMSON MEDICAL CENTRE BUILDING
#01-01 Singapore 307677

581 views 26 Aug 2018

Hi there.

It is interesting that your left ovary has “lower capacity” than your right. Have you had some form of surgery to the left ovary before? Sometimes it is difficult to say that 1 ovary has less function than the other, based only on 1 cycle of SO-IUI. Ovaries may respond differently in subsequent SO-IUI cycles, hence I would suggest another 1 or 2 more cycles before making that conclusion.

Even with SO-IUI, the chances of success depend on the number of mature follicles you had during that cycle; do not despair if the 1st cycle did not turn out well.

You may also like to note that ovarian reserves cannot be improved upon. You can however try to conceive while you are younger, and while your ovarian reserves are better. This will increase your pregnancy chances.

Dr Fong Yang
MBBS (S’pore), MRCOG (London), FRCOG (London), FAMS

Astra Centre for Women & Fertility Pte Ltd
38 IRRAWADDY ROAD
MOUNT ELIZABETH NOVENA SPECIALIST CENTRE
#05 - 40 Singapore 329563

563 views 29 Aug 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Gynaecology Pregnancy or ask your own question now FOR FREE.